• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "STUDEBAKER SHORTCUT"

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

This little "story" has an interesting theme and that central idea could make for all kinds of entertaining short stories for TW. A picture or two would make this a real gem.

Comment

John,
      I'm on the same page with you. Just yesterday, for no reason, I told my wife that I was taking the Stude out for a ride. An hour later, I returned home. I went no place in particular, but it felt good.
      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hey John,

We have a very large share of 'Greenies' down here in Aus, that really push the Carbon Neutral theme, and companies making a killing by selling Carbon Credits,(what a rort). If it rains excessivley, or doesn't rain, or is unseasonally hot or cold it's Climate Change - caused by all you dirty older car drivers. Having my everyday driver being a '56 International fitted with a 350 SBC, and my '62 Hawk I occasionally get some greenie giving me jip at the lights, or when parking, I just than them for their Carbon Credits and drive/walk away

I'm still looking for a bumper sticker thanking the drivers behind me in traffic for their carbon credits...Our Government is planning to start carbon reduction scheme to lessen Austrlia's <1% contribution to the global carbon load, at a significant cost to industry and the public. Which will make absolutley no difference, while we are located geographically near the greatest polluters - China and India, who couldn't give a toss about the environment. I fear over the next few years the vocal minority will convince the regulators to start banning cars over a certain age, or restrict how often, or how far we can drive them.

OH, by the way, I have always been amazed that you guys can leave your mail in the letter boxes for collection. Australia Post looses enough letters even when you use their boxes [:0] We also have problems with mongrels stealing mail from home boxes looking for money or to steal identities, from personal information. So after this very positive letter , I'll sign off.

Cheers
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Good to hear from friends "down under!" One of the highlights of my life was my "R&R" from Vietnam spent in good old Sydney! Sailing out of the harbor(or is it harbour), by the Opera, on an old schooner. I only wish I had been able to see more of the country. As far as the government goes...it just confirms that human nature is truly just that...the ability to miss-govern is universal.

John Clary
          Greer, SC
          [IMG][/IMG]
          I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A couple of years back, I saw an article about carbon cost of manufacturing a new car versus keeping the old one going. As I recall, the article recommended keeping the old one. Obviously not what the auto industry wanted to hear.
            /H

Comment

Heck, 75% of the CASO repair stuff offered up here are 'Studebaker Shortcuts'[}][B)]
              Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds like a perfectly sensible shortcut to me! Of course, I'm the guy that once drove from Phoenix to Des Moines by way of Seattle.

Jeff Jones
                Tucson Arizona
                1947 M-5

Comment

John, you, and all you other Stude drivers should think about coming down for a visit, our $ is only about 70c of yours at the moment. Tell your wives you are doing to Aus to investigate RHD Studes
                  Or take a Stude shortcut, via, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth.

Matt
                  Matt
                  Brisbane
                  Australia
                  sigpic

Comment

AUSSIE! YOU GOT A DOLLAR!?
                    I can't think of a better shortcut! However, I think "that one" would be hard to explain to the "Missie!" Of course it would be better to wait until our late fall. It would be nice to wander down your way as our fall season begins your spring season!By the way, I think I still have a coin somewhere that has some kind of marsupial on it (and it is not one of our "possums")
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

MAYBE it's an affectation of all the concentrated carbon fumes swirling about in the cockpit of our Studes![:0] Yesterday, it took Pete 'n me 66 miles of driving to find the farm supply store that's only 8 miles from home.[}]

Neither of us seemed to mind tho!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm a BIG fan of shortcuts like that... sadly it wasn't in a Stude but in January of 93 I drove from Raleigh to Los Angles by way of El Paso (and then headed straight north again).

I'm also going to print up a bumper sticker something like this... <EG>

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                        http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Jeff,

Love the bumper sticker Put me down for a couple. The ones I've got on my Inter pick up is " If you can read this thank a teacher. If you can read it in English than a soldier". & " If you want to burn our flag, wrap youself in it first". I some times sit at the lights and watch the faces on the people behind me as they read them, you get some interesting reactions. Mostly smiling agreement.

Matt
                          Brisbane
                          Australia.
                          Matt
                          Brisbane
                          Australia
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X