1942 STUDEBAKER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 STUDEBAKER

]][IMGhttp://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142d58//flameIMG_4402.jpg[/IMG][IMGhttp://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/flamed58/IMG_4402.jpg[/IMG
    We bought this car in 1991 and has been stored indoors. The car was in very bad condition in the back, when the car was relatively new, it had been hit real hard in the passenger side rear fender and quarter. This was war time so there was not many parts available. They had put a different fender on it but where the fender bolted to the body, all of that lip was torn away. At that time whoever did the body work to it used any pieces of scrap fenders and body pieces that they could find and stuck them in between the body and bent them down to bolt the fender to. Then filled all of that full of lead. From the bottom side, it leaked really bad, and the back one third of the trunk floor was gone was gone from rust. I had to rebuild all of the lower trunk area, the inner and outer lips where the fender bolts on. For right now I have it pretty close to complete on that. but other things had happened during the wreck too., that I am dealing with. The rear end was knocked out of the car so when they put it back under the car, they welded metal tabs to the rear end and to the U bolts, so it looks pretty bad on that area too. But evidently it worked because it was still rolling. We are going to make a hot rod out of it. There are a few pictures included showing some of the work I have done. At the back end pictures of the car, I have narrowed the bumper approximately 1 3/4 inches on each side. I welded the bolts in and have welded all of the extra holes in. I don't have pictures of that now. The splash apron that goes between the body and the bumper will not be there. The bumper will be within a 1/4 inch of the body and shaped to the body. I'm planning on running a Studebaker V8 with a Chrysler 833 4 Speed OD. With a mustang 11 front suspension. And I hope a 9 inch Ford rear end. Still need a few interior pieces for the car that I have not located yet. The exterior appearance of the car will look stock besides the bumpers. I will get more pictures and update you as I go. Hope you enjoy the car as it progresses. And excuse the look of the garage!!!

Dusty Taylor

Dusty,
    Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your '42 on the road again.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Hi Gary
      We hope so to. Will try to put more picture up.

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Dusty,
        Be sure to post your trucks picture in the members page.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Hey Dusty Whats the Vin # on that truck of yours, looks like one of those elusive Scotsmans to me.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Hi john it is a 1958 scotsman, that we have had for 38 years. It has a 289 with V8 R1 cam and an automatic transmissions. Has a Chrysler cross torsion bar front suspension and an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear end. Do not know the vin off the title off the top of my head, have not seen the title in years. I have built the floor in around the vin number. I can get to it but it takes awhile. Not the original hood. It has a transtar hood with the hole welded in. It has wheel tubs in the bed that is another set of rear fenders. The motor that's in it came out of my Dad's '64 pickup that he bought new that was originally a 259. I put a new crank, rods and pistons in it, and an R1 cam and carb. We just enjoy it on the weekends. If you've been around Stude's very long you possibly could have seen it when it was green or gray. Our son Brian did the Flames on it, his truck is pictured in the background. We'll try to picture more pictures of the car and pickup. I am new at posting on this site, it is hard to figure out. Thanks

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Nice stuff.Welcome to the forum.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Hi i hope this is right. DUSTY

Dusty Taylor

Comment

I hope to see your coupe in Branson before too many more years. I have always liked the early Champions stock and otherwise.

I guess this is Brian's truck?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hi yes that is brian's truck. This is what he is working on now. dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

My first car was a 59 Lark VI 4-door. One of these days I would still like to have a 59-60 2 door with a V-8. Interesting tail lights on this one.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sheet metal, and most of the components of the '46 Champion are identical to the '42 Champion. The correct fender is out there some place. The FRONT bumper of the '42 Commander & President is the same for the FRONT & REAR bumpers of the '42-'46 Champion.

Richard

Comment

Our Chapter was working on a 1942 Champion coupe. We didn't get it finished. I think that it now resides in the woods near Saugerties, NY.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Dusty,

I have tail light lenses if you need them.

Gary Krautmann, St. Louis

Comment

Hey Dusty, if you can get the Vin# we can add it to the Scotsman Registry.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Working...
                              X