40K R-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40K R-1

Check out the red R-1 Avanti owned by someone named Mike Gelman on Long Island.......wants 40K for a red r-1........worth it? Also claims Sears offered radial tires on Avantis in 1964...which I think is hogwash...........

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Check out the red R-1 Avanti owned by someone named Mike Gelman on Long Island.......wants 40K for a red r-1........worth it? Also claims Sears offered radial tires on Avantis in 1964...which I think is hogwash...........
    My Avanti had Allstate tires from the factory. Studebaker and Sears did a promotion together. They drove a Avanti with the Allstate tires cross country then ran on the salt flats. They also gave a few away at Sears stores.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I knew that.....I am stating that Sears did not offer radial tires in 1964.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

My Avanti had Allstate tires from the factory. Studebaker and Sears did a promotion together. They drove a Avanti with the Allstate tires cross country then ran on the salt flats. They also gave a few away at Sears stores.

JDP/Maryland

Comment

I think this gentleman stretched that one just a bit! Sears Tires YES, Radials...no way! [:0]

I would almost buy: Allstate "Fiberglass Belted bias ply Guardsman" or something like that, but not radial.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Crap, passed right by the radial comment, never mind.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Someone named Studebaker George kindly attempted to educate this arrogant arzz.....check the auction on the bay....the guy believes he has all the answers....he shows the Allstate spare in the trunk.a blind man can see the tire is bias ply....and he actually thinks he'll get 40K for an R-1 because it has low mileage?

A similar car owned by Leonard Blasko went unsold as well...plain Jane R-1 with an asking price of 38K........

Comment

Imagine that, someone being an arrogant arzz! [:0]

Chip
              '63 Cruiser daily driver
              '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

But George was just attempting to give the guy correct information!

Comment

Someone named Studebaker George kindly attempted to educate this arrogant arzz.....check the auction on the bay....the guy believes he has all the answers....he shows the Allstate spare in the trunk.a blind man can see the tire is bias ply....and he actually thinks he'll get 40K for an R-1 because it has low mileage?

A similar car owned by Leonard Blasko went unsold as well...plain Jane R-1 with an asking price of 38K........
                  I am thinking this car IS the one formerly owned by Len Blasko...how many similar, low-mileage R1 '64 Avantis, equipped the same way, could there be?

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                  '64 Daytona Hardtop
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

According to the Sears archive website at http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/chronology.htm -----

1966 The Sears Allstate Radial tire introduced.

Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

According to the Sears archive website at http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/chronology.htm -----

1966 The Sears Allstate Radial tire introduced.
                      And it was made by Michelin. I have some in the barn that I ran on my '64 Champ, 195x15s which then were comparable to a 6.70x15.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sears tires, yes, my 1964 Avanti came with them, but no radials on Avantis or any Studebaker for that matter.

This Mike G. was on this Forum a while back. I thought that he was having an R3 installed in his Avanti. Maybe not this same Avanti.

I think that I know who he is. I asked him a question on the Forum that probably should have been asked in private e-mail and he disappeared.

I don't see a link, so I didn't see the Avanti or ad. that is being referred to.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, the ad is on EBay.

Didn't the tire size designations change for the radial ie instead of 6.70x15 - R195/75-15 ?

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Folks,

Admitting one does not know the answerers to things is cool, but holding oneself out to be an expert show who is actually wearing the kings new clothes.

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Gary, the ad is on EBay.

Didn't the tire size designations change for the radial ie instead of 6.70x15 - R195/75-15 ?

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing

Comment

I stand corrected, that car is NOT Len Blasko's! Guess I should have read the eBay ad first, but I found it amazing that there were two nearly-identical '64 Avanti Red R-1 Powershift cars out there with less than 10K miles!

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                              '64 Daytona Hardtop
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X