YUCK! THIS ONE IS PAINFUL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YUCK! THIS ONE IS PAINFUL!

I hope this one is not from a forum member. There has been a lot of hard work done here but... if the first ever hot rod looked like this one, I don't think there would have ever been another one. I know with the arms length nature of these forums and Internet, we are often emboldened to make harsh comments but this has got to be one of the worst attempts at artistic expression ever attempted. Most hot rods, even the worst of "Rat Rods" have a theme, artistic flow, and a visual quality that entertains your senses. But this thing insults Studebaker, hot rods, and the producers of any of the components used to cobble it together.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I think I agree. I normally DIG the rat rods if not only for a different take, but it gives some young (or old) dude (or dudette) a chance to experiment with something with no rules to follow. But I just don't know about this one, they definatly didn't follow any rules, but no artistic arrengement either.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Pretty sad, and and not street legal in ANY of the 50 States, maybe you could drive it in the Saudi Desert! [:0]
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He might as well start parting it out - because there isn't a second person on this planet looking for that ... thing(?). I struggle for words to describe what has been created; unique, in an infamous way.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
        Packrat junk collector
        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

I've seen worse, but the 1992 chassis disqualifies even the most derogatory interpretation of "rat rod." At the risk of sounding vulgar, I'm thinking of another term that rhymes with "rat rod" and uses the past tense of a bodily function.[:0][}]

Still, it could probably dust my Hawk.[B)]

Andy
          62 GT

Andy
          62 GT

Comment

I don't get how this is that much different than any other rat rod out there? I've gotten to like the "rat rod" concept and have toyed with the idea of building one; and this doesn't look far off from any other one I've seen. I'd take it if the price was right!

Only thing I can see that I wish it had was a more unusual engine, like a Hemi (or an r2).

I guess maybe we were just overdue to beat up somebody's car[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

It took some serious talent to make it that ugly.

Comment

Ebay is one way to determine the world's opinion of it.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

quote:bams50
                  Commander Member
                  I'd take it if the price was right!

Only thing I can see that I wish it had was a more unusual engine, like a Hemi (or an r2).

I guess maybe we were just overdue to beat up somebody's car
                  Bams... look at the picture of where the frame has been sectioned at the rear spring hangars. What about that would give you confidence to drive it down the interstate at over 70MPH? Even if the old phrase..."A face only a mother can love" is used...Then it looks like "Mother" (the builder) is selling her baby! I have a junk pile that includes a couple of old golf carts, roofing tin, cast iron fire grate, rusty horse trailer frame, lawn mower deck, etc. I think that I could take an old chassis with nice wide white wall tires and dump my junk on top and have something similar to this.[8D]
                  It may also be that I am so bothered because I can think of much better uses for a C cab.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

He put a lot of work (and I'm guessing money) into it.
                    I don't think it's that bad....(aside from the grille)
                    But I agree with a 92 chassis and Chevy crate motor & 400, I don't think it's a rat rod. A faux rat rod perhaps, but not a real one (which IIRC, means made out of old stuff you have laying around).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

As a good friend of mine used to say "I don' unnestan'!"

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

It says "sectioned" but I think it was channeled. Looks like the builder was afraid to do any frame changes. He didn't need to channel it with all that work to clear that frame, just "Z" the frame. I think maybe the builder needs to open a welding shop specializing in sheet metal. He's good and he seems to be obsessed with welding sheet metal. Really, I think maybe the builder was going through a very emotional recovery from something traumatic and used this project to help distract himself from the pain while he recovered. I hope he's okay.

Comment

I saw this truck on eBay and dismissed it, but since you brought it up...I immediately thought of the 56 sitting by our driveway and how I would hate to see that happen to it. I like a well built rod, rat or otherwise, but some guys don't realize the visual component. To get the look we all are familiar with the radiator should be even with, or behind, the axle center line. A modern chassis places the engine over the axle and destroys the balance we are looking for. Years ago you would see a early Ford body mounted on a post-war Ford chassis with the same imbalance. Lots of work and money for something that just doesn't look right.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

When I brought my '48 coupe home, I literally sneaked it home and parked it in the back yard after my wife had gone to bed. The next morning while sitting at the breakfast table, I reached over, opened the curtains, and said to my wife..."Oh look Sweetheart, the Studebaker Fairy came again last night!" after a short pause and a look that only she can deliver, her reply was ... "Well...its so ugly...its kinda cute!" (whew! I knew immediately the possibility of it staying was good). If I had brought this particular thing home, the comment might have been, "Its so ugly...its very ugly!" Sometimes you hear someone describe a paint job as being a "10 yard-er" or something to that effect, meaning that it looked better from a distance. Perhaps while working on this one, it looked better while working up close. Then when he rolled it out of the shop and stepped back for a longer look..."Man! I gotta get rid of this thing!"

I'm feeling a little guilty for being so critical. So for a little encouragement, I'd like to suggest a way to improve it...Install a front end loader, and a backhoe! Could give it function, purpose, and better balance!

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Beauty is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder,
                              In this case the builder,
                              However he must have some serious money problems or second thoughts about his result of labor & $$$ .

Someone DID do some serious fabrication of that "unusual" grill (?) radiator (?)

Comment

Working...
                              X