Another find on the '58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another find on the '58

I removed the ratty original package shelf from Christine, so I can make a new one.

Here's what I saw:

It took me a minute, but after looking at it for a while I realized what it was.

The end piece on the tail fin was painted, laying on the package shelf.

Talk about trying to save a buck.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Also good way to keep the paint color matched if painted same time no chance for variation in color tone. Must think like a manufacturing engineer

Comment

All I can say is WOW!!! I know people like that.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      1957 Golden Hawk
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Studebaker Judges, please take note. Yours' is not an easy job.[)]

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

FWIW, there's two of these "stencils". One for each fin cap.

Anybody else seen this before?

Rich? I know you have lots of these cars.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Also a good way to keep the small parts with the correct matching car!
            Neat discovery Matt! [^]

Who would have ever guessed they would do that, most parts were completed in batches, and sent to the line as needed, matched, but not individually. [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good detective work, my friend!!Maybe this was a 'Monday' car and some line worker did this at the last minute. ?Maybe??

Comment

Or a line worker sent it over to the paint shop and said hey shoot this when you can.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hi

Interesting discovery, a practical solution to assuring the paint matched on the tailfin insert.

I wish they had put teardrop-shaped taillights in the tailfin end space, with the back-up lights in the current taillight position. An idea for a mild custom?

Steve

Comment

Steve, I've thought of doing just that and making the extra lite a dedicated turn signal.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I might be out in left field with this thought.but 58 was a bad year with a resession,and maybe that was a way to make things more efficient?

Joseph R. Zeiger
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I don't get it. I see a shadow where there was something, but I don't understand. Was the tail part still there when you lifted the shelf? Isn't the color where it was lying the same as the color around it, just clean?

I feel like the only guy who didn't get the punch line of a joke.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Excuse me Matthew but I would have to put some 59 Caddy tail lights in the rear of that 58 of yours. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

OK Scott, I'll bite, and splain it for ya!

The rear deck panel looks like a very thin single coat of Coppertone, or most likely just primer where it is LIGHTER colored, in the shape of that rear fin panel, and the rest of the the rear package tray has a fuller coat of Coppertone because it was not covered, this proves that those rear fin caps were painted laying on the package tray. [^]

AND...the overspray from a full wet coat of Baking Enamel on the fin cap went onto the package tray and helped give it a light protective coat of paint to slow the rusting process, instead of wasting it on the floor, they did not have HVLP spray guns you know! [^] A real CASO trick!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't think they would be TOO worried about a variation in color tone on a package shelf that would normally never be seen. In fact, that's what made the "overspray" acceptable in this location. The area needed paint to prevent corrosion, but appearance wasn't important.

KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X