289, 3 Spd OD and ?.?? gears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289, 3 Spd OD and ?.?? gears.

The 4.something Dana 27 in my '55 is wounded and I'm replacing it hopefully with a TT out of a 1960 Lark VIII automativ equipped wagon. Not sure if it's a Dana 27 or a 44, the car is 200 miles away and the seller doesn't know the difference but I don't beat on this car so a 27 is fine. Just curious what the most common rear end gear in that combo might be. Seems the 3.31 was pretty common. Think a '55 Commander C body with a '56 289 4 bbl and 3 sp. OD can pull that gear or even a 3.07? It sure feels like it can. I can pass at highway speeds no sweat without disengaging OD in 3rd gear.
    A 3.54 would be better but I doubt I'd get that lucky.

Analog man in a digital world.

Dana 44 or 27? Ask the seller to pull the fill plug and stick his finger in the hole. If it stops it's a TT. The 44's are embossed with "44" in the side of the case. If it's oily and full of crude it needs to be scraped off to see the "44". I think the embossed 44 is on the passenger side. You might get lucky and find a ratio tag under one of the Differential cover bolt.

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter
    See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Most likely it is a 3.31 ratio, could be a 3.07 Larks were geared for more economy than older models. Wagons have Model 44 Axles and they require a shorter driveshaft length than a 27 axle.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Have you opened the rear to find out what is wrong? I had some bolts to break off the ring gear in one once. Made some clattering but luckily I got home without chewing up the gear teeth. At first I thought I had killed the gears. I was able to extract the broken bolts, replace them, and re-torque. After 14 years I have had to repair some of my other work but the rear gears are still going.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

289 4 bbl should have no problem, even if it's a 3.07.
          My '63 Cruiser 289 only had a 2 bbl. I put a O.D. trans in it and averaged 28 mpg at 55 mph. Had no problem running the fast lane and only had to drop out of O.D. climbing the mountains in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well I doubt the owner is willing to do that but it is definitely a Twin Trac, he did know that so if I'm reading correctly very likely a Dana 44. He's selling the car for scrap plus it appears he's only out there on the weekend but his father bought the car new and his mother drove it for many years. I don't really want to fix my 27 as I was planning on replacing it anyway. I have a 4.09 to 1 open Dana 44 out of a '55 President C/K laying in the garage I could swap in but when there's a Twin Trac available why? How much difference is there between the driveshafts? There's a local shop that can shorten and balance it for me or even make me a new one. Is the rear U-Joint different? Thanx all.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

289 4 bbl should have no problem, even if it's a 3.07.
              My '63 Cruiser 289 only had a 2 bbl. I put a O.D. trans in it and averaged 28 mpg at 55 mph. Had no problem running the fast lane and only had to drop out of O.D. climbing the mountains in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia.
              Thanks Rockne10, that's very good to know. [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Hippie

How much difference is there between the driveshafts? There's a local shop that can shorten and balance it for me or even make me a new one. Is the rear U-Joint different? Thanx all.
                The Chassis Parts Catalog will tell you the exact length to a 64th. of an inch, my guess is less than an inch. The "U" Joints are the same '55 to '60.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

quote:Originally posted by Hippie

How much difference is there between the driveshafts? There's a local shop that can shorten and balance it for me or even make me a new one. Is the rear U-Joint different? Thanx all.
                  The Chassis Parts Catalog will tell you the exact length to a 64th. of an inch, my guess is less than an inch. The "U" Joints are the same '55 to '60.
                  Thanks Rich. PO gave me one with the car, I'll run out to the garage and grab it.[8D]

Crawled under mine tonight and it's definitely an axle bearing but it also has about a mile and a half of backlash. It's a 4.27 in it now, a bit severe even with OD.

Comment

Working...
                  X