Deja voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deja voodoo

You may recall my epic 10,000th post where I told of experiencing a time warp adventure while in the building that housed Visalia's last Studebaker dealer. Anyways, I was in that building again this morning - looking at the many antiques displayed there (It and the adjoining building - that used to be a Nash dealership back when - are now serving as antique malls.).

I looked out the front door today and wondered if the whole place would look at all familiar to the now deceased Stude dealer that once operated there. I've only recently found out that the empty lot directly across the street was Switzer&Jordan's used car lot. I'm certain that the lot's never been repaved since it's Studebaker days - even the two large Vs of lights that are rusting away are probably lights that lit a bunch of waxed offerings taken in trade on new Studebakers. I'll get a pic next time I go by there.

At the back of this lot is a very crudely constructed corrugated metal building that's half built with old used car dealer signs from subsequent tennats of that same lot. These signs are still somewhat readable and reading them - or trying to - got me to wondering what might be inside the building. Certainly, there weren't any unsold South Bend inventory, but who knows what might really be in there???

So I walk around said building and come to realize that the backside of it faces a trans overhaul place that's open and busy. The owner of the shop greets me and I explain that I'm not looking for work, only that I'm interested in the old building, seeing as how it abutts the old Stude used car lot.
    The guy's busy and he says there's just some old junk in there and says: "Hey, we rent it. It's unlocked if you wanna see what it looks like."
    Naturally, he don't have to say that twice! It's a struggle to pull open the dilapidated door, but as manage to step in and get my first peek, I find myself staring at a very unrestored 50 Champion 4dr!!!
    WHAT a surprize! A 9G-W3 that's steeped in filth and missing it's driveline, but still.... 20 yards from a dealership that it might well have been sold from when new!
    Other denizens of this rattletrap shed are a '64 Impala SS 2dr hardtop, A Harley-Davison 3-wheel scooter and a couple of late model pickup beds. That and core trannies and other misc auto bits.

I came back out of this treacherous tin temple and asked the tranny guy about the Stude.
    "Oh yeah! My dad and me is gonna fix that baby UP! I gotta big block Chevy and a Ford rear an, an, we're gonna make that thing just like new!

Hey - who am I to argue? I'm still enjoyin' the fact that I "discovered" a Stude sittin' only YARDS from the old dealership. That'll be a tough one to beat![^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Wow, great story[^] Can't wait for any pictures... hopefully of the car too![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Dave, I didn't ask about the trike, but it's not what I'd call a trike anyways. It's more on the order of the Cushman 3-wheelers that used to be so prevalent in industrial realms. Actually the first time I'd ever seen such a thing.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It would still be cool to roll around the international meet on little HOG!

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I forgot to mention that I had an idea spring to life as I roamed around that old used car lot. I'm thinking, get clearance from the owner (The local GMC/Chevy/Cadillac/Buick dealer) and arrange for a Saturday redezvous of some local Stude types (Anne?) to converge at this lot long enough to park a bunch of Studes there and paint whitewash prices and come-ons on their windows! Maybe even get a coupla Brand Xs there to make it look genuine! Would make a great cover/calendar/wallpaper shot.[:0]

OH! I'd hafta get some cardboard and make up an ABC sign too! Maybe a string of flags too.[]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

Comment

This what your thinking of Dave?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I forgot to mention that I had an idea spring to life as I roamed around that old used car lot. I'm thinking, get clearance from the owner (The local GMC/Chevy/Cadillac/Buick dealer) and arrange for a Saturday redezvous of some local Stude types (Anne?) to converge at this lot long enough to park a bunch of Studes there and paint whitewash prices and come-ons on their windows! Maybe even get a coupla Brand Xs there to make it look genuine! Would make a great cover/calendar/wallpaper shot.[:0]

OH! I'd hafta get some cardboard and make up an ABC sign too! Maybe a string of flags too.[]
              Bob (and others): Have you ever seen the B-movie done 15-20 years ago, entitled "Going All The Way?" The setting was mid-1950s and most of it was filmed here in Indianapolis.

My Hudson friend Larry Kennedy was in charge of setting up a circa-1955 Hudson Dealer Used Car Lot that was one of the scenes in the movie. They rounded some some "Huds" from local Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club members and created said lot on a small piece of older vacant ground near downtown Indianapolis.

Quite frankly, the movie sounded so lousy I never saw it, but Larry said the car scenes with the period Hudson Dealer Used Car Lot came out well. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm gonna try to make it happen. The guy from the transmission shop said he doubted the owner would go along with it, but I've dealt with this guy a time or two and he seems like a reasonable sort.

Also, a couple of months ago, I joined the local gearhead club here - the Visalia Vapor Trailers. This club started in 1949, and their meetings looks like a Who's Who of the local auto industry. Maybe 60 or so gray-heads filling the conference room. (Which just happens to be at the local Chrysler dealership)

Anyways, there's NO doubt in my mind that some of the club members could have a positive influence towards making such an event happen. Fact is, the next meeting is just over a week away. I'll stand up and ask for help and might well get more than I need! If we set a Saturday to do this - put up a string of flags, trimmed the weeds growing thru the cracks, found some PERIOD clothes for a few folks and got everything ready - we could have several shootings using different cars to suit different marques! Geez, I feel like a Hollyweird producer already![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                X