63' Wagonaire spare tire location???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63' Wagonaire spare tire location???

Hey guys sorry about all the Wagonaire post, but I am a truck guy and these cars are new for me. Anyhow, Delihla has the third row seat, so are you to assume that if you wanted that option you have to go without a spare tire? I didn't see a spare under the car and there is nowhere for it inside. I checked the owners manual but it did not mention anything about spare tire location with the 3rd roe option.

Watch out for nails i suppose[:0]

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

No John Studebaker did not make you go without a spare. It came with Goodyear "Captive Air" Tires! [^] They had an inner "spare" inside that filled thorough a basketball needle in the sidewall. Pretty cool huh? [:0]

You can always take your gas tank out and mount a spare under the floor, yeah that'l work! [B)] [}] [)]

Edit: Cool Keoni, you can even see the blue circle fill port in the pic!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's right, John - Wags with the 3rd-row seat were shipped with "Captive Air" tires that had a redundant inner core - kind of the predecessor to "run-flat" tires. They were supposed to negate the need for a spare, since you could run on them far enough to get to a service station and get the flat fixed.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Third seat option included Captive Air tires on all four corners for a total cost of a shade under $125, IIRC. Here's an ad for Captive Airs on e-bay:

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
        In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
        If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I just learned something . Who said you can't teach an old fart new tricks?

Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

So i guess i have to put run flat tires on her. Or does someone still make captive air repos?

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Hey guys sorry about all the Wagonaire post, but I am a truck guy and these cars are new for me.
              JB, no need to apologize, that's why we- and this Forum- are here! Some know the answers to your questions, and those that don't know learn! So ask away- I'm learning and living vicariously through your saga[^] Oh yeah- you had the spelling right the very first time- it's "Delilah"

BTW- Hate to ask, but what's the status of poor ol' Bud? Relegated to unloved stepchild status?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hey guys sorry about all the Wagonaire posts, but I am a truck guy and these cars are new for me.
                JB, no need to apologize, that's why we- and this Forum- are here! Some know the answers to your questions, and those that don't know learn! So ask away- I'm learning and living vicariously through your saga[^] Oh yeah- you had the spelling right the very first time- it's "Delilah"

BTW- Hate to ask, but what's the status of poor ol' Bud? Relegated to unloved stepchild status?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

So i guess i have to put run flat tires on her. Or does someone still make captive air repos? John
                  It might not be the best option, but on longer trips anyway~
                  what about putting the tire on the roof, in a roof rack [?] [?] [?]

Just thinking (poorly) out loud... [:0] [B)] [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Add me to that "Hey...I didn't know that!" category too. After being around these Studebakers for over 39 years, I don't ever recall the "captive air tires" being discussed. I owned a 2 door 59 wagon for years but nothing with a third seat. I suspect that many of us get a certain model that we think is rare and then are somewhat surprised at how many we see. I think it is because we are more inclined to notice the models we actually own. I also think that our knowledge is usually the most accurate as related to the models we have had or currently own. Then there are the "Company" guys, who are walking encyclopedias of all things "Studebaker." These "Historians" are a valuable asset to our hobby.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hey Bams Bud is still getting a little attention, I just took the axles off the frame a week or so ago. Now I'm trying to weld up a couple of small holes in the frame so it can make a trip to the sand blaster then off to the powder coater. I think cedar rapids will be a little optomistic at this point, with all the recent aquisitions, the Bud Fund has run a little dry, but I'm still doing the cheap stuff when I can.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

John: A far better solution to the "problem" of no spare is to find a mini-spare from a late-model car and use that. It still won't fit in the compartment, but you could rig up a little vertical bracket inside the rear of the wagon and stand it up in there.

Some of the last rear-wheel-drive Chrysler Fifth Avenues (the ones based on the old Volare/Aspen body) used 15" tires with a mini-spare. One of those ought to be readily available in a junk yard. (In a Fifth Ave, they might even have a fuzzy factory cover on the spare you could clean up and use inside your Wagonaire.)

When you get it home, be sure it will clear the calipers on your Wagonaire's disc brakes before you have to depend on it. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not to stir up a hornets nest, but if you were having a restored Wagonaire judged, would you lose points for having something other than captive air tires?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Since NOBODY has 4 of the original ones, I think you are safe!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Not to stir up a hornets nest, but if you were having a restored Wagonaire judged, would you lose points for having something other than captive air tires?

Tom
                              Well, there's nothing in the rules about it, Tom, and radial tires are now permitted with no authenticity deductions, so it would be a moot point. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X