It was right there all along....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was right there all along....

Thanks to a fellow forum member, I now have a fully restored, correct for '58, push button radio for Christine.

A while back I was asking for a radio faceplate, and came up empty. However, someone mentioned that their '58 had a faceplate behind the delete plate.

Well, it's as though the boys at Studebaker Corp. KNEW that someone would be installing a radio, 50+ years later...

Here's what was behind the dash.

And the delete plate.

And the faceplate.

Talk about "Advanced Thinking from Studebaker Corp!"

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

They didn't do that on our 58 Silver Hawk.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Way to go! I am glad it worked out for you. I wonder what the logic was behind putting that without the radio?

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I've never seen this done before either. Anyone else know of this being done on any other car?

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I've never seen this done before either. Anyone else know of this being done on any other car?

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA
          Have you ordered a copy of the Production Order? Maybe the car was originally built with a radio, and the customer didn't want it so the dealer removed it?? Just brainstorming here....

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

No I havent seen another like that, but it looks like the delete plate fits inside the radio plate, so that gives a nice 'finishing' detail I guess like a beaded panel.

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Ordering the build sheet is on the to-do list. And Jon, you're exactly right. It fits together perfectly.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well at the very least, it was a great simple way to hold the block-off plate into the dash! [^]
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Matthew, As has been being discussed on the thread, "What is a Parts car?"... perhaps in another life somebody came by your car and decided it really was a "Parts" car... and made off with the radio! Who knows when the delete plate was added? Then again, maybe you are just "living right!" Now you have one more blessing to be thankful for.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The PO may tell the story. Maybe the car was going to have a dealer installed radio so the faceplate was included for convenience. Maybe, I dunno, I'm no expert.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Mathew,I'm the one that mentioned it might be there, my 58 Commander sedan also had the faceplate behind the block off, I suspect they all were that way in the sedan series, it would make sense that the company may have anticipated selling a lot more cars with radios by the late 50s, but the good old Studebaker buyers just couldn't be bothered with such pricy, or distracting options. It could also have been for ease of dealer installations, but really who knows?

Comment

Is it possible that the key here is the color?

Since the delete plate and radio bezel are painted to match the dash, rather than chrome or aluminum, it may have been the practice to include both stampings when the dash was painted. Adding a dealer installed radio would have otherwise required painting a bezel to suit the dash, or using a "universal" chrome bezel. It was probably cheaper to just include the two painted stampings.

Jim Bradley
                        Lewistown PA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

Precisely James. Brillant deduction. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jim, you're probably right with that theory.. I seriously doubt that the car had a radio, then was removed. There's no hole for an antennae, for example.

BTW, the radio is installed a lookin' good. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                            X