Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head indentification

Hi:
    I'm working on a 52 Commander. A previous owner added a stock 4 barrel carburetor and manifold from a later Studebaker. I noticed that the manifold is bolted down at the ends (as well as the middle) on each side. My question is this; I have a 53 Commander with a stock 232 and the heads have no bolt holes at the ends as the 2 barrel manifold didn't use bolts there. The heads on the 52 Commander have this number on them: 527772 with another 2 centered under these. Can anyone help me identify the heads?

Thanks
    Howard

53 Commander Starliner
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I went to the S.D.C. home page, looked under tech tips, head casting numbers, and it says they are '51-'54 heads.

Comment

Doug:
      Interesting. I wonder why they have the "extra" bolt holes that my 53 doesn't??

Thanks
      Howard

53 Commander Starliner
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by brngarage

Doug:Interesting. I wonder why they have the "extra" bolt holes that my 53 doesn't??
        Quite simple really, the '55 and on heads have the end holes drilled and tapped to fit the '55 & on Manifolds both 2 & 4 Brl. with the re-designed clamp "humps" and the newer style "clamps" on the inner mounts and holes on the outer ones.

Your '52 heads had to be drilled and tapped to install a '55 Manifold.
        Your '53 is original, '51-'54's did not have 4 Brls. from the factory.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich:
          After some thought, that was the conclusion I came to also. Nice to know what I'm working with.

Thanks

Howard
          53 Commander Starliner

Comment

Working...
          X