Lark Golden Jubilee!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Golden Jubilee!!!!!!

Last week a good friend, who is probably the biggest Studebaker lover in Chile (his nickname is Pepe Studebaker) had insomnia: an idea was trying to come out of his head. Finally, he got it:

. This is a truly important fact, as the Lark changed (at least for a time) the fate of Studebaker: A new compact car was produced long before the three big ones even thought of it. And while those companies were still on fins and chrome, the Management of Studebaker had read the written in the wall and made his homework: consumers wanted something different and easier to handle. The Lark idea was in ebullition. We must remember this year to Chief Engineer Eugene Hardig, Chief stylist Duncan McRae and stylist Bob Doehler who were in front of the task to create this car, with lowest production expenses and higher possible success. And they made it. The Lark replaced three beloved models: The Champion, the Commander and the President. All of them represented, in some way, the past, while the Lark was the future. Respectfully those historic and significant names were put to rest.

I do not know how many names for this car were proposed to the management but Lark seems to be suited to this care free and happy car whose design even today looks attractive and probably better than in their original green years.

We must not forget the advertising for the first Larks:

Pepe Studebaker, I and some other enthusiast of the car are planning some celebrations this year in our country. In the meantime we have created and produced the distinctive that illustrates this post to commemorate this historic celebration.

We suggest that in the next chapter meetings and also the next international meeting, for this year a special award should be given to a Lark:

Thats a good idea! Now I just need to join a chapter, there are so many choices in this area.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Ricardo--

I love that logo! Any chance, at all, of getting it onto some T-shirts or caps? Jeepers, about half the cars in the Hamilton chapter are Lark types, too...

S.

Comment

That's a great idea. We are having a similar logo for our Zone Meet in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Bob Dudeck did the artwork.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Ricardo--

I love that logo! Any chance, at all, of getting it onto some T-shirts or caps? Jeepers, about half the cars in the Hamilton chapter are Lark types, too...

S.
          We can share the logo as it was developed having SDC members in mind. Interested please send me and e mail. I think that probably Bondobilly can use it also.

Studebakerchile

Comment

Ricardo--

Excellent! (I immediately thought of Bondobilly too. Wore one of his denim Lark shirts and one of his Stude caps all day yesterday driving my 62 around the countryside...I'll speak for something with that logo on it soon as it's available, and I bet plenty of others will too.)

Cheers

S.

Comment

I'm in on a few of those T-shirts when you get to it, Bondobilly! Great logo.

Comment

When I wrote that "I do not know how many names for this car were proposed to the management but Lark seems to be suited to this care free and happy car ..." I forgot that Mr Richard Quinn made a brief excerpt on his Studebaker Almanac column on TW july 2006 pp27 where he put a list of names supposedly considered for the Lark.

Studebakerchile

Comment

Great Logo!

James

The Bell Collection
                  Bellingham, WA.
                  Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                  Bellingham, WA.

Comment

I like it![]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Only took me 3 months , and this post , to remember this milestone.

Wow. 50 years old. And I have been the proud owner for the last 36 !

Anybody got that beat ?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Ricardo

I'll second (or third, fourth) that - it's a great logo. [8D][^]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                        May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                        http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Put Me down for 2 T-shirts when they are ready.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Put Me down for 2 T-shirts when they are ready.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hi Ricardo,
                              I hope you are well. I love your articles in TW.

Here in the UK, we have realized that it is 50 years of Lark so it was decided that when we meet at the Rally of the Giants in Kebworth, those of us with boring old Larks show bring them along to the show. So I think we have about 4 or 5 people that will have their Larks out.
                              Although my little 63 Lark is not flashy compared to my other cars it is one of my favorite cars. They are the best driving late model car Studebaker ever made, but don't tell anybody as the price will go up on these underated stirling machines.

Regards from a chilly UK

Greg

Greg Diffen
                              Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                              1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                              1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                              1939 Commander Sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards
                              1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                              1961 Hawk
                              1963 Daytona Hardtop
                              1988 Avanti Convertible
                              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X