Alouettes a Paris...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alouettes a Paris...

Well, the Paris in Ontario, not the one in France; but "alouette" is French for "lark"...

As I'd said I would, I paid a repeat visit to Paris to have a closer look at that '59 Lark wagon sitting in the field there; drove out in my own Lark this time, unfortunately the chap I talked at length with last time wasn't there. Chatted briefly with a very cordial lady at the place, and got a few pix of my Lark in a suitably vintage setting, and a few of the sad, sad '59...boy, Betty may have her cosmetic issues, but the contrast is startling seeing the photos of these two Larks right together! (You can sort of see why I didn't actually pose my '62 right beside the '59. I mightn't have got out.)

Betty and petrol artifacts...(note the wheel chock--pavement slopes, Lark slides! Taking her in to get the parking brake adjusted, among other things, this week; she is running beautifully these days though...just won't always sit still...)

The '59, in all her faded Tahiti Coral glory...such a neat little car...once! Probably a decent bunch of useable parts, though; the car is pretty complete, the flathead six still installed.

The driver's door was hanging open, as if beckoning someone to take the wheel...which will surely never happen again for this car. (Unless of course someone takes the wheel off, for use on another Lark...) Poor old gal. Incidentally, I didn't even try to open the door further to try revealing the serial plate, so I do not know whether this wagon is a Hamilton or SB car.

S.

OK Steve - what's that block of wood under your left front tire? [?] Parking brake need adjusting?? [}]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Steve. [^] It's buried all right. Looks like something out of the movie, The Time Machine. Wonder if the roof gutters are as bad as Kent's? That shocked me on his. That's what I am looking for Stude-wise, but it's odd that all are Tahiti Coral lately. I appreciate the effort to shoot that and post it. Makes me more nostalgic for that Texas wagon again.

Comment

I thank you for the pictures as well. I've been wondering if a rescue effort might have to be mounted, but your camera cleared up any question of that[xx(] RIP old relic[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Now there's one that would'nt move in one peice,hey is that a Hawk horn button?

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

OK Steve - what's that block of wood under your left front tire? [?] Parking brake need adjusting?? [}]
            Mark, Steve said:

"note the wheel chock--pavement slopes, Lark slides! Taking her in to get the parking brake adjusted, among other things, this week"

Caught you skimming instead of reading the whole post

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Steve, do you think it will drive home with a tune-up and oil change?

(Sorry- had to make fun of some eBay buyers[)])

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab

All '59s had those, remember..front grill badge too. They were still using the Hawk's success to sell the new Lark. Silly, really. Why wait until 1960 to badge it?

Comment

Wow, thats pretty darn bad, I don't know if I would try that one, I can be ambitious at times at saving old cars. Bummer for it though, I hope a stude lives on becouse of this car.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

barnlark writes: "They were still using the Hawk's success to sell the new Lark. Silly, really. Why wait until 1960 to badge it?"

I've asked myself that too. But really - by '58 - the Hawk wasn't that much of a hot sales item. Maybe they weren't sure it was gonna be the "hit" that it turned out to be, so they went the route of economy with some of the trim. They'd been using the same font name scripts since '56. Same steering wheels since '57 (same Hawk horn button too!) Plus it wore the name X-car until it was well into development.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Caught you skimming instead of reading the whole post

Parish, central NY 13131
                      Yup! [:I] That's what happens when there's pictures!! [:0]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Bob--

Drive it home? The pink one or the blue one?

Mark--

Yep, that be a wheel chock. I'm a Warbird buff too, and just as the chocks one might find under the tires on a P-51 will often wear the plane's registration, my chunk-of-cedar chock's got Betty's plate number magic-markered on...may as well exhibit a sense of humour about the foibles of my 47-year-old summer ride!

David--talking of Texas...

Was conversing later yesterday with an aircraft friend of mine (an Ohioan, coincidentally--up here to do some training with a Harvard, ie. T-6 Texan, group in Ontario); he asked me where this car was (I had the pix with me), I said Paris. Thought, "too bad it wasn't in Paris, Texas...it'd be in a lot better shape!"

I think the gent I talked to the first time said the wagon was available for about $300...there could, I suppose, be that much in parts on it. It's very complete, just ruinous...such a shame, this was a really neat little car once!

S.

(A goofy idea: Could one drop this body atop a modern truck frame, and finish it off as a truck...more or less a "Champ Blazer"??)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Originally posted by 63t-cab

All '59s had those, remember..front grill badge too. They were still using the Hawk's success to sell the new Lark. Silly, really. Why wait until 1960 to badge it?
                          I either read or was told that the reason the '59 Lark had some Hawk badging was that the tooling was not completed for the new Lark badging at time the Lark was first introduced. Is this true?

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

(A goofy idea: Could one drop this body atop a modern truck frame, and finish it off as a truck...more or less a "Champ Blazer"??)
                            First you'd need a body to drop![xx(]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                            X