Plugging Brake Lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging Brake Lines?

Everybody's talking about brake work. I'm going to install the hill holder on my Hawk, and will have to open up several lines. What have you used to plug up the lines while you are working? Only thing I can come up with are those rubber vacuum line caps. Is there anything else out there? Regardless, all lines will be bled after. Thanks! Dan

Get a box of pencils and sharpen them, then break the point off, or grind the point blunt. You can push them into the flare and they will hold very nicely

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Comment

They also make fittings with seats to plug them - snap on, mac, maybe even craftsman.

A pencil would work, though I would flush the system during bleeding and not just bleed them. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and I'm no sure how well a porous ceder pencil will prevent moisture from wicking into the fluid.

========================
        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
        Martinez, CA

Comment

Thanks. Do you have the specific links or catalog no.s for these snap on, mac or craftsman parts? I've been trying to find them on line. Appreciate your help!

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

They also make fittings with seats to plug them - snap on, mac, maybe even craftsman.

A pencil would work, though I would flush the system during bleeding and not just bleed them. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and I'm no sure how well a porous ceder pencil will prevent moisture from wicking into the fluid.

========================
          Martinez, CA

Comment

Dan, If you have an old style parts store (sometimes a hardware store) in your town that still carries a parts bin of misc fittings, you can buy brass caps that will thread on those brake line fittings. If you are just wanting to keep out the moths, grass hoppers, and miscellaneous dirt, I don't see why the plastic vacuum caps won't work as well. If I understand you correctly, you are just wanting to keep your system clean while you work. I have done similar work many times and the volume of fluid loss was not all that significant. A clean work area and no fluid stains on that shirt your wife just bought you is always a bonus!

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ivorydan

Thanks. Do you have the specific links or catalog no.s for these snap on, mac or craftsman parts? I've been trying to find them on line. Appreciate your help!

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

========================
              Martinez, CA

I'm operating on vintage brain cells here. No part number, but a similar item is here:

The ones that I have used previously were anodized aluminum, and differently colored for different sizes.

========================
              Martinez, CA

Comment

Just do the same thing you would do to plug off a vacuum line. Get a piece of rubber hose, in the proper diameter, and cut it into 2" pieces. Push a snug fitting bolt into one end of a piece,and push the other end onto the end of the brake line. Make as many as you need. Cheap and effective.

Comment

Jerry, that makes too much sense. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Used vacuum line caps. Worked swell. Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X