Front ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front ends

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a question that the collective wisdom might be able to help with. I have a 1963 Hawk, this year I feel I should attend to the front end and suspension. I have read all the literature available on the subject, Bob Johnsons web page and have done numerous searches for info. I own and have read the studebaker manual on the subject. My question is this...Can I rebuild the front end and suspension myself? I know all you folks seem to be top notch mechanics, but I myself do it as a hobby (or just a financially challenged individual) and I wonder if my abilites are up to the task.I have always done my own repairs and I did restore this Hawk but somehow I feel this might be beyond me. Any words of advice or cautions?
    Thanks in advance
    Joe

Joe, If you have a garage with some room to work around the car and the tools, fine. You will find that there will be a few places where you might need some specialty item, like the spreader. Take pictures of everything as you take it apart. You will find things that need attention or just cosmetic items that shops will not do and just slap it back together. Plan to spend twice the money and 4X the time of what everyone tells you. There will always be something you don't like the looks of and take a day just to fix. And watch that spring, if that thing comes loose a fat lip will spoil your day.

Comment

Joe, I hope to also be the owner of a 1963 GT Hawk very soon. What prompted you to question the front end? I would like to know what to look for when I purchase my GT.
      Peter Bishop

Comment

Peter,
        Deteriorated and cracked gaskets and grease that just oozes from fittings is a dead giveaway...also clunking and groaning noises as one enters or leaves the car, besides everything else is renewed and the suspension is 46 years old. It sure feels it. Good luck with your purchase (watch out for rust!)
        Joe

Comment

Joe, you can [u]absolutely</u> do it yourself! I am no shop genius, and had never tackled any sort of suspension work before I did mine, but by reading the manual and asking questions here, I did it! You just have to proceed with caution where caution is warranted (like removing the springs) and it'll all work out. Go for it!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This post may help: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=27466

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X