Any market for Zipvans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any market for Zipvans?

Wondering if there is any market for Zip vans? I've got a couple rough but solid ones that I picked up and I don't know what to do with'em. They would be fairly economical to restore- no chrome, no interior to speak of, generic weatherstripping etc. But then what? Can't imagine they are comfortable to drive for any distance and maybe I'm wrong but, I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick. Even though I think it would be cheap to fix its still a lot of work and I'm wondering if they are worth anything when you're done. Comments?

Bams wants one!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad is correct. I have wanted one for some time! As you say, the problem is, they are of limited use and appeal. I am a mail carrier, and thought it would be fun- and a good promotion for both the PO and Studebaker- to fix one up and deliver mail with it occasionally. Mostly it would be used promotionally. I've even got a rebuilt engine for one here! Recent medical challenges may affect my ability to do any in-depth restorations- or may not. So while I pictured finding one running that just needed cosmetics, I might be interested in having one that needs more. Of course, first and foremost would be- where are yours located??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Check this one out Bams

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

HAH! Already saw that one, JB! Too far, and too far from usable...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I would absolutely love to have one if I could find one here in So Cal. -jason
            1960 Lark 2 door sedan \"Ethel\"

Comment

The one in DesMoines looks to be in about the same condition as mine, it might be a little rustier underneath judging by the rocker area. I'm in VA by the way.

Comment

Just for discussion's sake, how about more details and some pictures... and prices??

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I don't have any pictures and I wasn't really trying to sell them- at least not yet, just trying to decide what to do with them. But we can talk. I'll PM

Comment

Think mid engine 455 Olds with Toronado axle narrowed! Wide meats and skinnies,zoomie headers ala' funny car, OHHH THE VISIONS...

Comment

I'd be interested in one for a business I'm starting in Kauai -you can't drive faster than 55MPH there anyways!!!

I'd be looking for a rust free runner tho...if anyone has any leads let me know.

P.S.
                      I'd also consider an early lark wagon.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

Think mid engine 455 Olds with Toronado axle narrowed! Wide meats and skinnies,zoomie headers ala' funny car, OHHH THE VISIONS...
                        Rich- In the words of the late Donald Pleasance in the movie "Halloween":

"YOU....ARE....a MADmn!!"

(Spelling is correct- that's how Donald said it)...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

A friend and I have been talking for a few years now about building a hot rod zip van, we want to put a mid engined R2, Chop and lower the roof on it, some really fat mags on it and paint it in the original mail van colors but with real flames panted on the front. I think it would look really good

Michael Pink
                          Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
                          1961 Lark Cruiser
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                          Michael Pink
                          Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
                          1961 Lark Cruiser
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                          http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

ZIP Van enthusiasts will want to secure a copy of the July 1996 Turning Wheels. There's a beautiful ZIP Van on the front cover "delivering" mail, and George Hamlin's excellent ZIP Van History is that issue's Feature Article. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I owned a Zip Van for a number of years.
                              I have found that Zip Vans need a replacement engine if that hasn't yet been done. You need to lift the body off the sub-frame to change the engine. It is not a simple drop-in.
                              I found them to be most happy at up to 45 MPH. IIRC, they have a Twin Traction 4.27:1 axle ratio behind that OHV six and AT.
                              I put an excellent 1964 pickup engine in mine and painted the Zip Van, as well as doing minor things. I traded it even for a 1964 Daytona hardtop. I included all of the cartons of NOS Zip Van parts that I had with the deal.
                              Zip Vans don't seem to be worth much unless they are at least solid and good running.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X