The custom Champ is coming along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The custom Champ is coming along

Getting some work done in the last few days, yesterday I got the broken screws out of the lower door hinge mount. Earlier that day, I picked up a bag of cone head screws and conical lock washers to replace the stock screws in this truck projext and my hardtop.

I hung the right door so it closes with a good slam. I will need to bring down the floor jack to hold it while I tweek it some so it will close with a push.

Things to do in the next few days, budget and time permitting:

Need to go to a local metal supplier for some square tube to run from the hinge post to lock post and points back and get some plate to make some new body mount brackets.

Need to get a degreaser to remove what I think is tranny lube off some of the floor before I try to weld... how tranny lube got there????

Need to figure out where I can get used conveyer belt for body mounts locally.

Need to drill out broken screws in the left door.

Need to figure out floor welding joint style, lap joints, butt joints, plug welding, not worried about looks... once I build it, I'll beat it and fix it

Anybody ever use a piece of angle iron, some vise-grips and a hammer as a metal brake?

Going to see what I can do on the truck in the next day or two, I also need to start on a fence around the yard to keep in an active three year old and the future puppy she desires.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

We want pictures! You say it's a custom Champ, what are you planning on doing to it?

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

Need to figure out where I can get used conveyer belt for body mounts locally.
      You can just as easily cut pieces out of tire sidewalls- they look and work as good as originals.

quote:Anybody ever use a piece of angle iron, some vise-grips and a hammer as a metal brake?
      Sure enough. That's all I've ever had. I used Vise Grips as you said, but also clamped the works in my big bench vise. If you carefully start your bend by hand as close to the angle iron as possible, then gradually hammer it over with a big hammer and wood block, you can do almost as good as a brake. If you don't use the wood you'll get hammer marks, bit you can make a really sharp bend that way. If you need a bend beyond 90 degrees, work the bend over the verticles instead of the flats of the angle iron. Just takes a little practice.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

How about something like this?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LC7
          Now there's an interesting truck. [8D]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Yea, that is what I am up to, except I am using a 63 Wagoneer body (flat roof, squarer rear door). Work is slow because I can only work on it one or two hours a week. I wish I had held onto the scrap truck frame rails I once had for donor material to lengthen the frame, otherwise I have to section down the cab to an extended from rough crew size to fit a 122" wb frame with a six foot box.

I'll get some pictures after I peruse the flickr or similar sites and review creative commoms licences, just in case.

Jeff T,

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
            The Replacements.
            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
            The Replacements.

Comment

Hey, that's cool...That's the idea (more or less) that crossed my mind while I was looking at that '59 Lark wagon hulk near here a couple months back...a wagon body on a truck chassis. In the case of a 59, the result would have been Blazeresque, a sort of "Champ Conestoga". Looking forward to seeing pix of this 63 project.

S.

Comment

HEY Jeff!
                I'll bet it's missing a transmission!! LOL

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Jeff, you can use the angle iron as a metal brake with the vise grips but use a body "dinging spoon" instead of just hitting the angle with a hammer. The spoon will roll the metal easier woth alot less distorion. Do it in a vise is even better with the metal between 2 lengths of angle iron & you have a open area to work, nice & stable too! If you dont have a dinging spoon, then a block of hardwood would do, but the spoon is better.

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Jeff, you can use the angle iron as a metal brake with the vise grips but use a body "dinging spoon" instead of just hitting the angle with a hammer. The spoon will roll the metal easier woth alot less distorion. Do it in a vise is even better with the metal between 2 lengths of angle iron & you have a open area to work, nice & stable too! If you dont have a dinging spoon, then a block of hardwood would do, but the spoon is better.

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    Another option is a leather-faced mallet. A 3 lb mallet works well for stuff like this, even up to 1/8".

Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                    X