My '64 Daytona has arrived...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '64 Daytona has arrived...

As to be expected, some things exceed expectations, others not so.

The car looks nice. The blue is closer to Strato Blue than the pics on eBay made it look, which makes me happy!

The doors close about the same as on my '63, except they don't fit up as tight against the car.

Driving the car, made me realize the two things that I think need the most attention.

The seller told me he put wheel cylinders on it, but it pulls drastically to the right when you brake.

Also, there is no power steering, but out on the road, there is a lot more play in the steering than I'm used to on my other Daytona.

There is a small hole in the left rear quarter under the taillight, which the seller didn't mention. I saw it when it was up on trailer; could be he never saw it.

I don't think I stole it, but I think overall I did OK at $4,200.

I wish I could post pictures!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

OF COURSE you can post pictures! It's not hard! Send me your phone # and I'll call and walk you through it, then you'll know how forever...

We're dying to see it!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I'd like to see some pictures of your new car as well Bill, but I'm not dying (yet anyhow)! [}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Excellent, Bill; 'glad to hear it has returned "home" safely.

It could well have new wheel cylinders all the way around and still pull to one side. There's a dozen things that could be wrong; some of them minor. Don't sweat it until you have someone competent look at it. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey, I would like to see some pictures too. Get on that phone call.

sals54
          sals54

Comment

Bill , good luck with your '64 Daytona . I sure like mine and your has such great history for you ! Get those pics posted ...we all are waiting

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for your good wishes, everybody! A couple of tiny, unexpected niceties awaited me in the glovebox...a tube of Studebaker Strato Blue from back then, the "Important Notice--STP Added to Engine Oil" card, and the "P/S Owner Protector Service" booklet, with 12 "Inspection and Maintenance" coupons torn out, but with full info on the stubs...first one is dated 8/20/64 at 1,024 miles! Last one is 10/21/67, with 22,049 miles.

Car was delivered July 22, 1964...in an earlier post I was wondering about that. It was built for stock at Hamilton on June 10, 1964.

I'll get pics posted somehow!

It's a nice fifteen-footer!

Ironically, I went to Ravenna to get the title and Ohio Historical (hysterical?!) plates for it today, and I told the pleasant clerk a brief story of the car. She said, "I have relatives in Greenville, PA". When I asked their name, she mentioned a fellow named Dennis Stake who used to own a black '64 Daytona Hardtop that is next year's Keystone York Raffle Car! What's the chance of that?! It was owned by Forum member Jim Bradley twice (both Jim and the '64 known as "Rerun"!)

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              '64 Daytona Hardtop
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Comment

I'm surprised Palma didn't say it so I will...

COOL BEANS, BILL! [8D]

A special car has found a special home [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude_s
                    This car has no power steering, but I think it has a LOT of play in the wheel, compared to my '63 w/PS and the same mileage. I don't think I ever had the steering box replaced in the '63 but did have the steering "tightened" at the shop that restored the body and did the paint...whatever "tightening" the steering means! (mechanical dummy!)

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '64 Daytona Hardtop
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

The seller's description of "no rust through" is not exactly what mine is, but I keep telling myself it's not a show car nor did I pay a show car price! I do see a repair in one trunk corner, and a teeny little bit of light showing through in both trunk corners. I need to keep reminding myself that I'm not going to go overboard on getting stuff done on this car!

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '64 Daytona Hardtop
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude_s

/Cut/Bill,I also have power steering and noticed some play in the steering, ever after rebuilding the steering system. I wonder if this is just the way things are with the p/s equipped cars?/Cut/
                        Steve (stude_s); Bill's car is a MANUAL steering car. However the play is not normal in either!
                        It is usually not, but COULD be in the reach rod/Power Steering Control Valve rod ends (not separately replaceable) or the tie rods.

The most common place for the slop is in the Center Pivot Shaft and bushings or loose clamp, followed by the steering gear box. This may be the best gear Studebaker ever used, but it is not immune from wear!

On your car with P/S, the control valve adjustment nut may be too loose, making it slow to respond to the steering wheel action.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bill ...

MUST ... SEE ... PICTURES!!!

Just kidding with ya. Glad the car arrived safely and that it's got just enough "quirks" to keep you busy for a while. :-)

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                          Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

You will enjoy the car. I have had 3 64 Daytona hardtops and currently a 64 Daytona convertible. Great driving cars.
                            Denny L

Comment

Hi Bill,

It's great that you got a car that you knew about for such a long time, and that it came from your hometown dealer that you've done so much research on. I'm happy for you!

Manual steering should be heavier than power, but NOT sloppier. Better have someone check that out soon! The braking is probably a relatively easy fix.

Best of luck to you with the car! Maybe we can see it at Wink's this summer?

Dave Bonn
                              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Working...
                              X