X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home for Lunch... More stuff on the website

I added several new items to the Studebaker Stuff pages on the website:

1955, 1957 Color Charts
    1956 Truck Colors Brochure (Dealer Item)
    1955 McCulloch Supercharger Ad
    62-64 GT Hawk Review
    1969 Modified Race at Atlanta- LeeRoy Yarborough's '53/54 Stude pictured
    1965 Yankee 300 Race- 64 GT Hawk (see pic)

I have also scanned about 20 Dealer Invoices for Studebakers sold at Kinney Motor Company in Barnsville Ohio. I'm still creating an Excel database with Serial Numbers, Engine Numbers, and basic equipment. It will be interesting to see if any of these cars have survived... These invoices have most of the original Production Order information on them. They also contain many hand-written notes for extra equipment, trade-ins, and final prices of the cars.
    There are a few dealer-to-dealer transfers also.
    These will all be posted as time allows...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Believe it or not, Ray, I actually attended that 1965 Yankee 300 and watched Dick Passwater competing in that '64 Hawk! Although the race was held at Indianapolis Raceway Park, configured for the road course, your posted photo is credited IMS: Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

That should be no surprise; IMS owner Tony Hulman was one of the principals in the group that built Indianapolis Raceway Park in the late 1950s, about 5 miles northwest of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

While the original IMS is on the west side of Marion County IN, IRP is on the east side of neighboring Hendricks County. IRP is located along U.S. 136, less than 4 miles east of my home in Brownsburg. U.S.136 goes through Brownsburg; IRP is located east of Brownsburg on the west edge of little Clermont IN. Clermont is actually the town closest to Indianapolis Raceway Park; not Indianapolis. (But I don't think Clermont Raceway Park would have much name recognition!)

When Indianapolis Raceway Park is configured as a road course, as it was for that Yankee 300, the famous 1/4-mile drag strip where The National Drags have been held since 1961, becomes a straightaway portion of the road course. That way, bleachers along the drag strip can be sold as seats for a road race.

I had one of those seats along the drag strip. It was fun to watch Passwater's Hawk appear around the curve, entering the drag strip, and then disappear at the other end of the drag strip into a corner. [] The Hawk looked downright small and unusually low in profile when compared with all the big 1964 full-size Fords, Chevrolets, and Pontiacs in the race...and its race-prepped R3 had a distinctive scream at speed, totally unlike the deep-throated big blocks against which it was competing.[}]

Quite an experience. I wish I had a video from my seat, of course[V]. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
    X