Freeze Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze Plugs

A couple of the freeze plugs on my '60 wagon (259) are weeping.

What's the best way to pop the old ones out and put in the new ones?

What size are they (so I can pick them up ahead of time).

These would be the old style freeze plugs (not the cup type).

Thanks!

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Suggestion: Don't try to replace with the factory style in the car. Use the Dorman brass, expandable jobs. They expand with the turn of a wrench and last forever.

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I just punch it in towards an edge till it twists in, then grab the protruding edge with vise-grips and pull it out.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Dick I usually use what us mechanics call a pinch bar or other instrument with a sharp point to puncture the center of the offending frost plug and after getting yourself cleaned up from the antifreeze bath you got <g> then pry it out, I think the dish type frostplugs are 1 1/2" but if no one else replies I can go and check the parts book.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Parts book says 1 1/2" Dick
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Robert - your way would work with later Stude V8s as they used the cup type plugs. Earlier car's have the disc type and the holes for them have an inner lip for the edge of that disc to seat against. You'd take a chunk out of the block if you tried to make the disc spin from it's edge!
            I just drive a pointed tool thru the center with a hammer and then twist it out. I DO like the two-piece copper ones with the acorn nut to tighten them. They're carried by Dorman but I don't know the Dorman number for them.
            I've also used the rubber expando type and will say that they go in easy too and will seal and hold alright. But after having them in an engine for a few years and then removing one - it was ugly-lookin'. Not that it leaked, but the rubber part was all gnarly-lookin'. Didn't look like it was a long-term fix.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Huh; learned something new today![8D]

My way should still work with the disc though; I put my chisel on the flat area; just off center so it'll flip an egde out.

Another point: I've read about sludge, crap, and even casting sand in large amounts clogging the water jacket... so don't forget to pull them all and clean it all out with a coat hanger and water pressure!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll pick up a couple of the Dorman plugs this morning and knock out the old ones.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's the plugs I picked up today. I believe this is what JP was talking about...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yup! I've got one sitting here right next to the keyboard. I just didn't get around to taking and posting a photo.[B)] Of course, now I don't have to!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Huh; learned something new today![8D]

My way should still work with the disc though; I put my chisel on the flat area; just off center so it'll flip an egde out.

Another point: I've read about sludge, crap, and even casting sand in large amounts clogging the water jacket... so don't forget to pull them all and clean it all out with a coat hanger and water pressure!

Parish, central NY 13131

Robert, I'd respectfully suggest that you NOT try to remove the disc-type frost plugs that way. They set up against a ledge in the hole. Hammer hard enough near the edge of the disc, and you MIGHT knock the ledge off the inside of the hole, making it nearly impossible to seal a new plug in there.

Either use a pointed tool to pierce the plug and pry it out as Biggs suggests, or if the plug is old and thin, you can simply hammer in the center of it with a blunt punch and turn it inside-out, and it fall out on its own.

Those Dorman plugs look really nice. I haven't had to use them yet, but I think I'm going to order a few and keep one or two in each vehicle I drive. If a frost plug fails on the road, you could fix it on the spot with simple hand tools.

Even the rubber expandable plugs would work in that situation.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Those copper plugs would look good if you polished them up.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Makes sense, Gord; just the type of thing I come here hoping to learn!! [^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                          X