'57 President Classic Glove Box Script Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 President Classic Glove Box Script Question

We are in the process of ordering the missing script for our glove box. The problem is that we are seeing two different "colors" available. There is a gold version and a chrome version. We are assuming that since everything else in the car is chrome, that the chrome version would be correct. Since we have been wrong on a few occasions before , we thought we'd ask what the difference was and what the correct choice should be. Thanks in advance for your help!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

I'm interested in this answer. SI doesn't distinguish why there are two offerings. Maybe taste? There were gold and chrome together a lot over the years. Here's a link to one. Broadmoor dash..

There's your clock, too.

Comment

Looking this up in the parts book, the gold script is applicable to 56 & 57 Presidents. The chrome one is applicable to 57 & 58 Presidents. No serial number break point is given where one took over as the other played out.
      This might have been just a matter of the gold ones being used up before the chrome ones were put to use. Some '56 Presidents had gold horn rings. The book doesn't define if it was only the Pres Classics that got these, but as to the script - it appears that all 56 Pres's would have had a gold one.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tracy, you can look at it like a tasteful, discerning 21st century woman probably would...no mixing gold with silver, or like a 50's car designer, mix 'em up and show the bling! [8D] Different crowd, style and tastes back then. It's your car, no wrong answers. I bet chrome was the replacement, or just another option for individual tastes. Both would probably be correct, but ask one of that division's judges who should know.

Comment

All I know is 56 President for sure the gold one. I owned several
          over the years. For 57 I'm not sure but I bet Fred Fox would know.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X