Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Cruiser- Why isn't this doing any money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Cruiser- Why isn't this doing any money?

This looks like a gorgeous car!:

It was on eBay previously, at least twice, with an unrealistically high opening bid. After the third time I wrote the seller. Her name is Robin, and she's just interested in selling the car and getting a fair price. I told her it should be worth about $4-5K, give or take. She was a little disappointed, but thanked me for my comments. I don't know what her bottom dollar is, but she did take my advice and started with a low opener and a reserve. But with just over a day to go it's just barely over 2 large[B)] Is it the OR location??

Hopefully there are buyers waiting to snipe it to a decent buck at the end; but if you're interested at all in a car like this, take a serious look!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I thought we went over this issue Bob...IT'S A '62 4 DOOR!

Really, I don't mean any disrespect, this is a beautiful car, looks to be in excellent shape and would be a great driver, or even show/driver. Just not MY favorite style.

I'll bet there is an AFB lurking under that big GM? air cleaner. []

How often do you find a mostly restored, turn-key driver for probably under 8 to $10,000? [^]

I know this one was not sold new at Frank H. Afton Co. Inglewood, CA because it still has it's "Lark" letters over the "Cruiser" nameplate. [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I actually like 62's. My BEST driving Stude was a '62 4 door...and a Cruiser is icing on the cake.

Limited market, however, BECAUSE it's a 4 door.

It should be worth 4-5k, but in today's economy there are even fewer buyers for a car like this.

It kind of bugs me that it looks like it has tan door panels, gray seats, and green carpet (but that might be the camera).

OreStudeGuy lives in Grants Pass and works in Medford. It's half way in between. I'm sure George would check it out for someone on his way home from work.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, Rich, but I did see the number of doors! Even still, if it's really had a full resto (admittedly, that can be broadly defined)- WITH A/C- there's no reason it shouldn't be a lot higher- just not the $8500 she had on it last time... interestingly, first time she listed it she had an opener of $6950; no bids, so relisted with the $8500 opener[:0]

As for the interior- I thought that too, but I don't see how one would make all those colors happen, even with fading... so I dismissed it as bad pictures.

If it was a 2-door in that condition, it would probably do $8-9K[B)] I think it would top $5K for sure with a Steinkamp listing[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You guys have all hit it one way or another: The economy, the number of doors, lack of pictures to show the quality of restoration (i.e., inside the trunk sides and floor to see if it was ever rusty), lack of undercarriage shots for the same reason, etc., etc; it all adds up.

Too, it is in a corner of the country, so shipping is an issue ($$$) for anyone living mid-continent or points east. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I believe that it has a Flint Taupe interior, thats why it has grey seats and the door panels look brownish. the A pillar garnish moulding looks like taupe and so do the door panels. The carpet probably faded green, look at the bottom of the door panels they look green too. I can say from the cars with rubber mats the bottom 'rubber' section looks green-grey.

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Also says it has a salvage title, that could scare some people.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

That's a nice little ride. Too bad the seller's expectations are out of line with reality. But at least now she'll get an accurate gauge of what the market will bear.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This car has been on numerous times. It could be that people are just tired of seeing it. It has a lot going for it, and an owner who needs a dose of reality. Other than all of that, an apparently really nice car.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

This is Stuarts lost twin, color and interior are the exact same. Condition is the same.

Comment

Well, it's jumped about $1300 since mentioned here... maybe this thread jump-started it, and bumping it will push it high enough for Robin to let it go!

I'd sure like to see it in good, loving hands[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

It is a nice car for someone to use as a driver (less than $5000).
                        To me, the negatives are; four door, 1962, color, salvage title, location, aftermarket A/C.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Interesting, Gary- to me, the positives are: four door, 1962, color, aftermarket A/C There's got to be buyers out there that agree with me, although your list is probably the majority...

We're on the same page on price, though- I think it's "worth" much more than $5K, but the actual market value is maybe $5K at the very top

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Oooo that looks like a nice 62...As ever, just as well it's nowhere near me..."lead us not into temptation!"

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Interesting, Gary- to me, the positives are: four door, 1962, color, aftermarket A/C There's got to be buyers out there that agree with me, although your list is probably the majority...

We're on the same page on price, though- I think it's "worth" much more than $5K, but the actual market value is maybe $5K at the very top
                              Bob, I noticed that the salvage title wasn't part of your 'positives'. The A/C isn't a problem, but the too many doors doesn't help. A car with a salvage title will never bring the same money as a car with a clear title. You're guessing at the history.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X