[img][img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Sampson is a 8E45 453 Detroit Tractor and Delilah is a 63 R1 Wagonaire that were shredder bound. I ran across these about 2 weeks ago from a year old post on SDC, that Avantidon had posted entitled "rainy day barn finds". I thought it was a new thread, it wasn't. Anyway I recognized a green 59 1.5 ton from his photo album, that was recently on ebay, with a phone #. I called the # and inquired. The salvage guy planned on putting all of these on ebay, until he got not even 1 bid on the 59' which had a clover leaf block & 5 spd overdrive. After that he figured off to the shredder, this Stude stuff musn't be worth a lick. Then I called, shot the s@*t for a while and we struck a deal on Samson only, he still thought the R1 was worth selling.

I drove 6.5 hours one way this morning to pick up Samson, and after all day of doing car stuff together and haggling back and forth on the R1 we finally came to terms. It was dark by that time so I did not get any better pix of the wagon. I'm going back later to pick up Delilah.

Anyway it's 3:20 AM and i just got home and I'm beat. I'll talk to you guys tomarrow.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Congratulations John, there's a lot of work to come no doubt, and I hope the wagonaire isn't too rusty. Good pick ups.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Fantastic, JB! Thanks for the updates; many of us love living vicariously through others' adventures; and yours are among the best!

As I told you yesterday, that old wagon isn't even worth bothering with. As a service to you, I will save you having to look at that dog and take it off your hands There was a time not long ago that a wagon would have had that r1 robbed and the rest discarded. Luckily, that time has passed[^]

Hope you get that truck at least stuck back together and running very soon! I doubt that ol' Detroit (4-53?) will have much wrong with it- I bet it starts pretty easily... once you hear it roar to life, you'll be hooked[8D]

Seriously, great work. Who else sees things like these and makes the effort to actually track down and get them saved? Very few of us!

You're the man, Johnny B! Enjoy your newest treasures[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Super! [] Boy, that's good news. [8D] We simply can't afford to "lose" any Diesel trucks, and the Wagonaire is a good score, too. Is the R1 engine in the '63 Wagonaire the car's original engine? (Post the car's serial and engine numbers and our newly-christened authority, Dave "Barnlark" Arnold, will verify for you.)

Other than the LF being flat, the big tires on the tractor don't look all that bad, either...I mean, after all, you'll probably not being taking it on cross-country trips at highway speeds. For just putzing around town, they might be serviceable.[}]

Good score and congratulations, John. Thanks for the good photos and description. Even readers who don't post a reply will have been glad to see and hear the news. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

ROCK AND ROLL! Way to get 'er done, John! Great find and a great story to boot. Can't wait to see more of these awesome vehicles (especially interested in how the wagon cleans up).

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

'Forgot to ask. Are you going to drag the Hawk home and part it out? (I hope there's room for it to at least be dismantled.) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Awesome find!

That Diesel will be one sweet ride once you get her restored!![]

Craig

Comment

I'm glad that the Diesel now has a good home. I'm still drooling over that one...

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hey Bob

The engine in the R1 is a JT engine, stall has all the chrome goodies too. I got the vin but forgot to write down the engine #. but its all oridinal.

The hawk has PS and a 6000rpm tach [8D]. I think he is going to keep it and fix it up for his dad. He showed me in the barn that he had 3 decent front fenders, and the hood that came with it, I also took him a nice tinted windshield for it that I had laying around. His dads dream car is a 57GH, but he said this would have to do. So thanks to daddy I got the R1 and the hawk is saved!

The R1 has a 6000rpm tach also, and disk brakes is that standard?

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Hey Matthew,

I might take the old girl to Cedar Rapids, just to let her have a little fun in the sun. You'll have to promise not to drool on the paint though[B)].

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

'Good thing I'm not going to the National meet then, John. There'd be drool everywhere. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Hey Bob

The engine in the R1 is a JT engine, stall has all the chrome goodies too. I got the vin but forgot to write down the engine #. but its all original.

The hawk has PS and a 6000rpm tach [8D]. I think he is going to keep it and fix it up for his dad. He showed me in the barn that he had 3 decent front fenders, and the hood that came with it, I also took him a nice tinted windshield for it that I had laying around. His dads dream car is a 57GH, but he said this would have to do. So thanks to daddy I got the R1 and the hawk is saved!

The R1 has a 6000rpm tach also, and disk brakes is that standard?

John
                        'More good news, John. If the Wagonaire has a 6,000 RPM tach, it probably was not a full-package Super Lark. We won't know for sure until you post the VIN; then it can be verified. 'Looking forward to having those numbers.

'Certainly glad to hear the Hawk will be saved, too. With no word about it in your original post, I was concerned. This is all good news, for sure. 'Have a safe trip back getting the wagon...and do it soon! BP

Comment

Hey Bob, the vin number is 63V8874

it also has the little metal tag on the firewall, I didn't see an option streamer like Bams is repopping, but didn't know exactly were to look for that. The rubber drain piece is perfect though.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Bob, could that wagon be a "package" car with a column-shift FOM?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Hey Bob, the vin number is 63V8874

it also has the little metal tag on the firewall, I didn't see an option streamer like Bams is repopping, but didn't know exactly were to look for that. The rubber drain piece is perfect though.

John
                              John: Thanks for the VIN. There shouldn't be any streamers on the firewall Body Tag. If the car had a 4-speed, there might have been one, but maybe not! If there are any streamers, they are most often attached with the body tag screw toward the center of the car; i.e., not the outboard screw.

63V8874 was indeed a factory R1/heavy-duty Flightomatic Wagonaire. It did not have the full super package, however, and it couldn't have: It was built before the Super Packages were available.

It was built R1/HD (water-cooled) Flightomatic, disc brakes, Twin Traction, Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers but not heavy-duty springs or air conditioning. It was indeed Green Mist and was shipped with engine #JT1304 installed.

Bob Andrews: I just scanned the 1963 JT production records and do not see any full-package cars with column-shift, heavy-duty Flightomatic. I wouldn't say "never" as to that availability, but full-package cars do seem to always have either 4-speed or Powershift floor automatic, supposedly the only available options when a full package was specified. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X