I'm back and a paint question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back and a paint question.

Been away for a while with a personal issue but it's all resolved and I'm back.

It's time for paint. As I've said before we are not going for a show car. We can't afford it. What we want is a nice looking comfortable fun and safe drivable Studebaker. And while we are not making any radical changes that can't be undone we are not going for authenticity either. Can anyone recommend a good color combination. In the red/tan family. A deep red with a buckskin roof is what we have in mind. Preferably Studebaker colors but not necessarily from '53. We have looked at some pics of the coral red used in '53 and are confused. Now I realize seeing it in a picture or on a computer is not an accurate rendition. In the Turning Wheels Lancaster meet issue on page 44 in the upper left hand corner is a '53 that won first place. I am assuming that since it won first place it is the original color and Studebaker only had one red that year. Now on the next page is second down from the right corner is a '53 that won second place. We like that red. But is it the same one? Is it just the lighting? Where can we get our hands on a variety of Studebaker paint chips at a reasonable price. I've been to Bob Johnstone's and seen the chips there. But as I mentioned before seeing it on the computer is a lot different.

Did I make any sense?

sigpic

Now I am more confused. I looked at some charts on Ebay. DuPont and Ditzler show different colors available for the same year.
    sigpic

Comment

The Tomato Soup Red (probably Coral) was a very common color on '53-'54's however, it is not a true Red, or a very "clean" color, it's somewhat muddy and may not be what you want.

I like the '54 Dark Red, it has more blue in it giving it a slight purplish look, but since it is very dark it is still predominantly RED and looks very good, close to Maroon.

Here's one if you can focus on the CAR!

The lighting or the mix of the paint on this one makes it look more Oxblood slightly Brown more than it should than the Original, but it looks close. The roof is "Sand" it's a slightly beige off White.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
        Here's one if you can focus on the CAR!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        Rich is correct: Most CASOs would look at that picture and immediately zero in on the "Buy 20; Get 10 Free" offer on the sign. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What sign? I hardly even see a CAR! <G>

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

That is the color I think we are looking for. Anyone have the paint codes for both colors? I've looked online but the print is a little too fuzzy and I can't read them. Thanks.

sigpic

Comment

All I saw was white over orange...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

I really don't know that much about '53 Studebakers or Studebakers and auto body work in general and should have stayed out of thread. Sorry to intrude.

Comment

OK that explains the issue about the color charts I think if we were looking at charts before the Spring additions. The original color was black and white. And since we are not going for a show car we won't go to the extreme necessary for a complete color change but we will do the door jams and such. Ours is early '53 but we are not going for original. How can we get the paint codes? The charts online are unreadable and while I don't mind buying one or two charts on ebay I hate to buy a dozen to find the one we want.
                  sigpic

Comment

It has been some time since I have done a paint job. But when I did, I found that the red colors were the most expensive. If you are on a tight budget, you might want to check that out as well. Good quality paint will cost regardless of brand or type.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good luck with your project.

Comment

We know red will be expensive. We used to do autobody and are familiar with it. Haven't decided if we will do an at home garage paint job or send it out. It could be a combination where we do the roof and the jams and send it out for the body color. Not sure yet. We've done some nice jobs in a garage before. And the money we save can be spent on seat covers. The car is now drivable but we do need to change the tranny fluid. For those of you who missed the story here it is again.

It was purchased from the original owner in the early seventies. It only has 50XXX on it. It was placed in a garage. Not a climate controlled garage but just a garage. There it sat for over thirty years. We purchased it about eight years ago. For the first couple years or so we did nothing but tow it home and garage it. Then as time and money allowed we started work. Our plan from the beginning was not to make a show car. The '53 had always been my favorite care of all time and I wanted to drive it. We have done nothing to the engine other than some new freeze plugs, oiled it well before starting it the first time and new plug wires, rebuilt carb, water pump, recored radiator, some wiring repair, etc. New brakes and lines. Despite recommendations to update the brakes we stuck with the original. The headliner is still perfect. The seats have covers that we think were put on when it was new. We plan to remove them soon to see what we have. We have discussed dyeing them. There are a few mechanical things left but the car is drivable now and paint is next. We are almost sure of the two colors. Those of the car above or very similar. We will check with the paint supplier tomorrow and see what chips he has. Otherwise I hope someone here can tell us the codes. I cannot read them on the chips available online.
                        sigpic

Comment

I am in the process of painting my 1953 Stude.
                          If you want Coral Red... here is an almost perfect match from DuPont. It is in their Spectramaster chart... RS584A. I had it miced in Centari, but they can also mix it in base-clear. DuPont headquarters recommended RS567, but when we looked at it in the sun on top of my battery case, the color was too brown looking. We then settled on the 584.
                          GOOD LUCK! Actually the primer ended up costing more than the paint. However red, blue and now yellow are your most expensive pigments.

duane miller

Comment

We were in the autobody business some years ago. We know paint. So Mike headed over to one place today. I found I could print out good copies of the chip chart from Bob Johnstone's site and he took those. Complete with paint codes. No, they can't mix it. A lot of the places we dealt with have quit selling paint or are out of business and most shops except the smallest now mix their own. Surprised we checked another. What the hell. Back when we were doing autobody there were no problems. I start calling around. "What is a Studebaker?" What country were they made in? "Who bought them out? "giggle Stu giggle de giggle bake giggle giggle ker I don't think we have anything for Stu giggle de giggle bake giggle giggle ker" Sheesh It looks like we can't get it local.

So I went online. This place looks good.
                            Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

They have colors back to the thirties. You can put in your year and make and get the chart. Then enter the codes and get the price of your paint. You may need to call the first time. Knowing which codes to use can be tricky. Ours is about the same price as we could get locally. We will buy the reducer and hardener locally to save on shipping. And unless you are in California the savings on sales tax will about wash with the shipping. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

OK so my final questions. Does anyone know the exact color name of the colors used in the car posted in this forum. We like that and might go for it. Second does anyone know the the color names on the car on page 45 of the meet issue of TW. The one I mentioned above. We like it too. Or how to contact the owner so I could ask him. Which brings my next question. Isn't there a club roster available and how to I get one?
                            Sorry to be so full of questions. But now that we are at the paint stage I am getting excited.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X