Stude overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude overdrive

From some of the posts I've received, it appears that the original overdrive will perform nearly as well as an S10 5 speed. I have a hard time understanding this. Please give me some input before I spend the money. Thank you.

quote:Originally posted by jmccarrol@hotmail.com

From some of the posts I've received, it appears that the original overdrive will perform nearly as well as an S10 5 speed. I have a hard time understanding this. Please give me some input before I spend the money. Thank you.
    Probably refers to final gear ratio.

Fifth in the S-10 5-speed provides about the same final gear ratio as overdrive engaged behind a stock Studebaker overdrive transmission. The advantage of the S-10 would be that you'd have four gear ratios before overdrive, whereas in the stock setup you have only three, unless you use second overdrive before shifting to straight third.

Personally, I see little benefit in removing a working Studebaker overdrive transmission and installing an S-10 5-speed in its place. There are inevitably better ways to spend time and money on the subject car or truck. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Agreed! I have both an S10 with 5-speed and a Stude T86 w/OD. I often use second over and the transmissions both seem to max the sweet spot but the Stude overdrive requires fewer shifts.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I guess it depends a lot upon your local driving conditions, to me the advantage of a T-5 lies principally in it being all synchromesh, and the lower 2 gears being closely spaced. With my T-86 o/d, shifting back down into first gear requires either coming to almost a complete stop, or some careful "double-clutching" and usually still emits a jaw tightening "grunch". This rolling downshift to first is difficult enough that in hilly city terrain it soon becomes tiring, if not downright annoying. One thing that really shows the antique engineering of my Stude.
        Thankfully, at speeds over 25 mph the overdrive "freewheels", so my method of navigating city streets with many stop-signs and intersections is to leave it in first, and "stand on it" to get up over 25, and then let it coast, still in first, to the next stop or intersection.
        "Works" alright some of the time, unless the surrounding traffic is hitting 35-40 between intersections.
        On the flat open roads of central Indiana, Ohio, or Michigan with intersections a mile or more apart, one performs as good as the other, in fact out on the "open road" I by far prefer the T-86s instantly available "gas-pedal" kick-down from 3rd o/ds 2.19, to 3rd directs pin-ya-to-the-seat 3.73 "passing-gear".
        Always wished I could find a full-syncro 3 speed o/d for a transplant, but they were rare when new, and are difficult to find and very expensive now.
        My #1 choice would be a Saginaw, or T-10 4-speed with the electrically controlled o/d added on, but it is finding the "right" old o/d parts or adapter, that pretty well kills that idea.

Comment

Having driven both for many years, these are my observations. As always, your car, your money, your decision:

1. IMHO, the uniqueness of the B-W overdrive just fits a Studebaker.
          2. Especially if it is already in there and working.
          3. In today-real-world-every-day driving, any stock Studebaker is an antique in brakes, handling, creature comforts, noise insulation, HVAC. The effort to bring any one of the areas up to contemporary standards just then makes more noticeable how antique are the other areas. Yes, the T5 is an easier driving experience, but then, it's also that much less of a Studebaker. There is no stopping point in updating the antique mechanicals, but also no way to ultimately make a Stude drive like a Honda.
          4. To do a T5 conversion correctly from scratch is at least $2000. (Yes, you who are about to reply you did it in a weekend for $100 and a six, we know; yer cousin owns a wrecking yard and yer bro-in-law is a NASCAR mechanic, but most here don't have yer advantages.) Worth it? Drive a conversion someone else has already done and decide for yourself.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Jess, The Saginaw 4 speed is the first that I did in a Stude. The OD bolts right to the back without an adapter. But since Hot Rod Mag. did an article about it 25 years ago, the 3 OD Saggys are as hard to find as grill surrounds for a 53K.

Comment

Hi, Alan,

Since you have done several best-science TK500 swaps behind Studebaker V8s, what is the current net cost for a new transmission, adapter, mounts, clutch assembly?

What would be the minimum you think a junkyard T5 swap could be done for, assuming the owner could turn a wrench? (But cost out whatever you have been doing on your pro welder, lathe, mill, band saw.)

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Jess, The Saginaw 4 speed is the first that I did in a Stude. The OD bolts right to the back without an adapter. But since Hot Rod Mag. did an article about it 25 years ago, the 3 OD Saggys are as hard to find as grill surrounds for a 53K.
                Yep, and don't I know it, lots of GM guys also want this set up, and the few that come up on E-bay always end up going for big bucks.

Comment

"(note: I searched to find the most appropriate o/d thread to put this in)"

Gall-Dangit! You're a bonefied Gem! But what thread did you post the link to???

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yea Jeff, where's the link? I'm definitely interested in that. As well as a floor shifter for a T85...

Matthew Burnette
                    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

Working...
                    X