Removing lock assembly from 1950 trunk handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing lock assembly from 1950 trunk handle

I am planning to have my trunk handle rechromed and need to take the locking mechanism out. I have the handle (the part that moves) taken off of the part that bolts to the trunk lid already.

According to the shop manual, to remove the actual lock from the trunk handle (I'm talking about the part the ignition key goes into)
    one is to insert the key and use a tiny drill bit or something similar and press in and the unit will come out.

1. The key I have goes in but will not turn the unit.
    2. The drill bit does not touch anything when inserted, the yoke, I think it is called is not there.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

You use the short key, the glove box key, you need to find a Trunk/ Glove box key that will turn the lock, about four different Studebaker trunk keys is normally all it takes to find one close enough to unlock it, take it to you local club meeting with a paper clip to insert in the small hole and borrow a few keys, if you don't have one! [^]

When you have the proper Trunk. Glove box key in the lock the 4 tumblers will be pushed out and then the paper clip or very small drill will push the pin allowing the lock Cyl. to come out. If you cannot find a short 4 cut key to release the tumblers, you will have to drill the tumblers out destroying the lock to remove it.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jimmie, I agree with all StudeRich had to say, but before I drilled the tumblers out I would order a pair of 290635 key blanks for the Yale lock from Studebaker International. Take the blanks and the handle to a lock smith and he should be able to make (cut) you a key to fit not only your trunk handle but your glove box too. If you don't have a lock smith in your area that will do this for you, you could try Wellsworth Lock at 9th and Illinois Street in Indianapolis. They have been in business since the 1920's and have helped me out several times. By having your own key, you won't have to hope that the one club members shows up to unlock your trunk or get all your money out of the super secure cardboard glove box.

Comment

Working...
      X