Studebakers and digital photo archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers and digital photo archives

I don't know how many here on the forum are aware of the treasure trove of Studebaker information and pictures located in various collections across the country. Many photo archives are online and available for viewing. I have posted a few from archives in the past so long as there are no use restrictions. This one in Utah I've known about for a long time and would really like to post pictures from, but I think there are restrictions. If you go to this link and do a search for Studebaker you'll be rewarded with some really GREAT pictures from the past.

I wish the SNM archives could do something like this (nudge, nudge).
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

cool link to some early studes and the buildings. Wagons, early electrics, early gas.

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

You're really onto something here!! I googled a couple of big city archives around here. I only found one Studebaker photo for the City of Edmonton, but Vancouver has some real good ones! Best yet, one can order hi-res prints.[^]

From the Glenbow archives:

then to Archives Photographs

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM. Reason: Updated Glenbow Link

Comment

Very neat.
        Number 8 was an impressive car. The Fire Chiefs car # 27 was also impressive. Thank you for posting the link and the topic.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

I'd like to go for a spin with these guys! WOO-HOO!

Lookit the leg room for the guys up front. If that's the gas tank over the rear wheels, I ain't sure which seat would be safer in a wreck![xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Utah site is really good at prewar photos - which we don't usually see. And the Vancouver site has some real beauties pictured.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

The Utah site is really good at prewar photos - which we don't usually see. And the Vancouver site has some real beauties pictured.
              I think my favorite has to be the photo of the two delivery trucks; one with the "British Columbia Gramophone and Talking Machine Co." on the side.

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 03-22-2015, 06:18 PM. Reason: Updated link to photo

Comment

I agree. That's one of my favorites. All those great trucks and how many are left? I want one baaaad...

Comment

I got lost in those great photos. Great find. I guess there was one photographer around the turn of the century that appreciated a great automobile. He photographed the Studebaker building quite a few times. Thank goodness he did, because he preserved it for us. He must have been a Studebaker owner himself. I love the pictures with the guy in front of the post office parked in front of a bicycle. Was that what you had to choose from in those days, a bicycle or an electric ride if you could afford one? And I never saw a street so empty. It was like he was the only one on the road. A great trip down memory lane. That's for the links.

-Glenn

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

What's interesting is they have a format similar to this one:

When I had a car or locomotive I wanted to model I would flip through their photographs to find the detail or number I was looking for. This site made for a very handy tool(there I go again, lol) in looking for names, numbers, specific details, or whole items that I wanted to replicate(well scratchbuild). There were a couple of hitches though;

The B&W glass plates made for mild entertainment when it came to figuring out colors.

In my case, what might appear in the "family photograph" or the dressed up photo wasn't representative of the actual item. For example, never in my life did I come across many a caboose or coal hopper that had whitewalls.

However, if SNM wanted something that would benefit all of us needing a quick lookup, and it was on the web, this would be a wonderful thing to utilize. Of course I'm biased toward having a massive library, or more than one library of most anything in one spot on the web.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Near the bottom of this page are links to every state's digital collection. Of course most states have several, but I guess these are considered important.

Learn how to do just about everything at ehow. Find expert advice along with How To videos and articles, including instructions on how to make, cook, grow, or do almost anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X