Gran Turismo script ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gran Turismo script ?

How does one identify a Studebaker original Gran Turismo 1962-3-4 factory door script trim from a reproduction. I for some reason think I might remember seeing a number and manufacturer name cast into the back side of an original? Roth maybe? I know 62 and 63 are gold colored. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

I have a GranTurismo script I took off a 62 back in 1980 or 81. It is gold and has nothing cast or stamped on the back. I am pretty certain it is original based on its condition and the overall condition of the car at the time. The mounting studs are nice and uniform. The reproductions I have seen have mounting studs that are not uniform in size or shape

Don

Comment

Originals all had ROTH cast into the back. Roth was the contractor who supplied all the pot metal finished chromed pieces to Stude. My great-uncle was a co-owner of Roth Plating in South Bend.

Jim, it might be a few weeks, but I'll send you a photocopy for free of the ROTH blueprint for said GT door script. I have most all the Studebaker/Roth files and blueprints.

Comment

One way to tell them apart from my experience is that the originals fit in the holes. The repops don't and have to have a pin or two broken off to work.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Kent, thanks for the reassurance. I thought Roth was cast on the back side. I have in my posession two different types of reproductions. One has retaining pins with flat tips and the other has pointed ones. No markings on either ever. The one with the pointed retaining tips is a nicer looking casting. Makes me think that there were no less than 2 different repo manufacturers or at least 2 different casting molds and runs. Maybe more. Who knows. Check this. A couple of years ago, I was the winning bidder on a pair of chrome ones selling on e-bay. Seller claimed them to be new nos. Some sellers truthfully don't know the difference. I asked the seller if the scripts had the ROTH name on the back side and he replied, yes. He was very obliging. When I got them they were new and for a 64 as I expected. Also, flat tipped prongs and on the rear side hand scribed not very convincingly into the metal were the letters Roth. I suppose he was aiming to please. Oh well. jimmijim

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Dong and Jim, you both are close, but quite there! As Kent, (54-61-62) said, those Roth (with flat pins) are the (ONLY) ORIGINAL nameplates! [:0]

I have been selling Studebaker parts since 1970, and know first hand. What happened is, due to the popularity of the Gran Turismo Hawks, everybody and their uncle were making these.

I remember that Frost and French Studebaker in L.A. still a original (Studebaker) SASCO Dealer (distributor) and West Coast Warehouse, even was buying some locally back in 1970 from a aftermarket supplier, a SDC Member if I remember correctly! These were not Gold plated, they were solid Brass!

So (Dong) Don's car, had some early Repro's on it, a long time ago. You have to remember that although Roth did a fine job with the shape and fit, the Gold "wash" was a production thing, not custom plating. So it was very thin and people replaced them a lot because they looked shabby.

These GT's were so popular in the 1970's, that Frost and French actually reconditioned them (these all got repros) and sold them on the showroom floor after there were no NEW Studebakers, all we had were hand built $35,000.00 Avanti II's to sell, not something that everyone could afford.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Rich,/Cut/ Anything on that? jimmijim
                I am really not sure on the Douglas Mfg. ones, if they were made after the Original SASCO was sold, between when Studebaker closed and when the parts were sold to Newman & Altman, by Newman & Altman OR if they were not Studebaker sanctioned at all, and totally aftermarket.

The way I see it, these details really do not matter, if it's good, use it, if not it can be plated for 3 times the cost of new, and you know what, when all is said and done when installed they ALL look the same! [:0]
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X