How to know if a Stude (or X) has Rust issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know if a Stude (or X) has Rust issues

I thought this thread could be insightful for persons unfamiliar with rust. (and could be fun). I'll start.

How to tell if your car has Rust Issues.

(1) When you step on the gas, there is a good chance you could end up in the back seat.
    (2) The sheet metal man knows you by first name, and you have to use a credit card because the purchase price always exceeds the cash in your pocket.
    (3) The metal sensor on some roads to change the traffic lights doesn't detect your car is there.

Paul

You have your car body sandblasted, and wind up with just a frame.

You make a new hole every time you try to patch up an existing one.

Your car leaves a little pile every time it hits a pothole.

Comment

You can put your suitcases on top of the gas tank.

A conservation group wants your car for an underwater reef.

Ziebart closes when they see you coming.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

• You do not need to roll down your window for ventilation
        • You need to wear safety goggles to keep debris from the floor out of your eyes
        • Your kids never ask you to stop anymore for bathroom breaks

Comment

A couple from my past:

1. When you step on the brakes at a stop sign and the front end dips down and comes back; then a few stops later you take off and the cowl breaks loose and drops and the brake pedal traps your big toe between itself and the floor, crushing it (66 Falcon)

2. You have to smoke the tires with that 327 4-speed every time you take off; then one time you do so, and when you grab second and sidestep the clutch, the rear axle and what's left of the last several feet of the frame try to exit out the rear- with a big bang and a momentary skyward leap of the rear of the car (63 Impala SS)

3. More recently: When you pull the rug out and see there's no connection between the floor and A-pillar- all the way to the windshield! You open the pass. door and it falls to the ground- A-pillar still attatched (62 Daytona Skytop)

Being a CNY resident my whole life, I could come up with hundreds[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You can stand in the driveway on quiet nights and hear the flakes hitting the ground.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Most recent surprise along these lines came when driving a fairly good-looking but heavily bondoed 1965 Cadillac convertible maybe four years ago. These cars can have notoriously rusty frames that are downright dangerous.

In this case, unbeknownst to me, the lower left control arm front mount to the frame (normal coil-spring rear suspension) had rusted off its mount...or should I say the area of the frame to which the mount had been attached had rusted away. The lower right control arm was more-or-less locating the bottom of the rear axle housing, at least for the time being. (Needless to say, the car did drive squirrely.)

But when you applied the brakes anything but gently, the axle housing could rotate just enough, taking that errant control arm with it. In so doing, that control arm contacted the emergency brake cable running below it, immediately and violently applying the emergency brake, locking up the rear brakes even though you were attempting a smooth, normal, non-panic stop! Talk about frightening the first time it happened... BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When you have more squished bugs on your knees and ankles than on your windshield!

If your car was made before 1995!

John Clary
                Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

When it's reallllyyy bad;

Your repair knowledge of cables and trusswork talents on the frame would make any engineer from the Golden Gate Bridge tear up.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

I thought this thread could be insightful for persons unfamiliar with rust. (and could be fun). I'll start.

(1) When you step on the gas, there is a good chance you could end up in the back seat.
                    (2) The sheet metal man knows you by first name, and you have to use a credit card because the purchase price always exceeds the cash in your pocket.
                    (3) The metal sensor on some roads to change the traffic lights doesn't detect your car is there.

Paul
                    I think Mark's post on this thread, 6th from the end is the ultimate rust test!![}]

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Terms=rustiest,

Craig

Comment

quote:From Bob Palma
                      immediately and violently applying the emergency brake, locking up the rear brakes even though you were attempting a smooth, normal, non-panic stop! Talk about frightening the first time it happened... BP
                      Err, Just kinda curious how may times it happened that were not frightening. [)]

Bob

Comment

Your kid wants to take the car to school....for chemistry class show & tell.

You decide it's cheaper to paint your driveway ochre.

Pennsylvania's motor vehicle code is often appropriately denigrated but, when properly done, the annual motor vehicle inspection has its attributes. I can hear my S-10 rusting but it's still safe to drive.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

How about this one:

When your 67-72 Ford pick-up cab mounts get so bad that the steering starts binding; then all steering is eventually lost, because for some time the entire weight of the cab was being supported by the steering column, and the rag joint finally gave up the ghost[:0]

Saw it plenty of times back in the day...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I like the one from a while back on this forum about the Jeep Wagoneer Back Seat VCR Catapult...look it up...

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

I like the one from a while back on this forum about the Jeep Wagoneer Back Seat VCR Catapult...look it up...

S.
                              Scroll UP five posts!! Save yourself the search!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X