This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Studebaker El Camino

There have been several threads about a phantom type Studebaker pickup. I remembered that there was one designed by the Studebaker designers in an old Motor Trend magazine. I finally found it. It is in the January 58 issue. The pickup was designed by Duncan McRae's design team at Studebaker. They didn't name it except to call the covered bed top a Conestoga. They really should have produced this vehicle in my opinion!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

That would have to be called "stylish", and much too attractive to compete with the eyebrowed El Camino or the absolutely dowdy Ranchero.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That would have to be called "stylish", and much too attractive to compete with the eyebrowed El Camino or the absolutely dowdy Ranchero.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Looks like a cross between a '57 (front) and a '59 (Rear). I guess that does make it a '58 [)].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Looks like a cross between a '57 (front) and a '59 (Rear). I guess that does make it a '58 [)].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
          Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
          LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I love the back window and roof! They could have made these out of Larks and sold a ton of them! I mean, the Champ is a great pickup, but a Stude-mino would have had style![8D][:X]

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I love the back window and roof! They could have made these out of Larks and sold a ton of them! I mean, the Champ is a great pickup, but a Stude-mino would have had style![8D][:X]

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Leonard, the middle picture is the one in the Studebaker Century Book,
                This vehicle was part of the "common tub" Studebaker Packard that never came to be for 1957. This common tub was to be the basis for 8 or 10 different models including Studebaker and Packard sedans, 4dr HT's, station wagons, including 2dr SW etc.
                The diagram details how certain panels that attached to the common tub were for Studebakers only or packards only.

BTW The diagram listed the vehicle pictured here a Express Coupe.

3E38
                4E2
                4E28
                5E13
                7E7
                8E7
                8E12
                8E28
                4E2
                59 Lark
                etc

Comment

Leonard, the middle picture is the one in the Studebaker Century Book,
                  This vehicle was part of the "common tub" Studebaker Packard that never came to be for 1957. This common tub was to be the basis for 8 or 10 different models including Studebaker and Packard sedans, 4dr HT's, station wagons, including 2dr SW etc.
                  The diagram details how certain panels that attached to the common tub were for Studebakers only or packards only.

BTW The diagram listed the vehicle pictured here a Express Coupe.

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28
                  4E2
                  59 Lark
                  etc

Comment