(top right photo) you can see the front of the Ute, which should
    have been featured.

Thanks, James

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

'Yep. 'Noticed that but forgot to post. Too bad it's not bigger, or featured. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I posted the existance of the Hot Rod magazine photo under another topic dealing with the ute. I also commented that it appeared to be the only vehicle with its hood open. I know that the engine compartment was clean and harbors a Studebaker V8, but the lines of the vehicle are shown much better with the hood closed.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I posted the existance of the Hot Rod magazine photo under another topic dealing with the ute. I also commented that it appeared to be the only vehicle with its hood open. I know that the engine compartment was clean and harbors a Studebaker V8, but the lines of the vehicle are shown much better with the hood closed.
          Gary...

ALL cars look better with the hood, doors and trunk closed. In fact, ALL cars look better in motion as opposed to parked. Studes are no exception and I totally agree that a sleek 53-54 C or K looks best buttoned up.

That's not what happens at a major indoor car show, however. ALL of the JUDGED cars are REQUIRED to have the hood, trunk doors, etc. open IF they want the points that would be obtained by having that portion of the car judged. For that reason, MOST cars at a major indoor car show will be "open".

Those that aren't are most likely not judged (display only) AND the engine compartment is not special in any way.

The Ute was in a building that recreated past Roadster Shows. All 60 or so cars in that building were invited by the show owner and all expenses comped. All were display only. Many choose to not open the hood for most of show. The Merc next to me, for example, is probably the most famous chopped Merc of all time...the Sam Barris Mercury. The hood on that car was never opened. The car is first class in every way, but the engine compartment is nothing special.

From an indoor car show perspective, the engine compartment of the Ute is a major part of the car. It's pretty special...

Opening the hood for most of the show was a compromise for sure. But to have it closed most of the time would not have been in keeping with the spirit of the GNRS. The engine of the Ute got as many or more positive comments as other aspects of the car. I think it would have not been the right choice to have the hood closed all the time, but others may have decided differently.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Dick, and I agree with your decision based on those facts.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

saw it, a tiny photo,

ChopStu
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I had an hour conversation with Chris Campbell yesterday. He is a writer for Hot Rod Deluxe. He does a great job. For those of you that read HRD, he has three articles in the current issue.

Chris will do a great job on the Ute. It should be in the July issue on the news stands in May (the May issue has been out for a couple of weeks).

Chris is a "car guy", obviously. The neat thing about our conversation was that he just took delivery on a "barn find" 1953 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander [8D].

It's Chippewa Green even

Nice to have someone like Chris on our team [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I had an hour conversation with Chris Campbell yesterday. Chris is a "car guy", obviously. The neat thing about our conversation was that he just took delivery on a "barn find" 1953 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander [8D].
                  Nice to have someone like Chris on our team [^] Dick Steinkamp
                  And if those pictures were taken at Chris' place-
                  he's not just any ol' car guy--

He's a STUDEBAKER Guy!!!!

(look what's around that corner...)

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  lookin' for HRD next month...
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

he's not just any ol' car guy--

He's a STUDEBAKER Guy!!!!

Here's his Silver Hawk he has stored out at Gene Winfield's place in the desert...

He paid $100 for it and calls it a bunch of junk.

I told him that easterners would die for that rust free Hawk sheet metal.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                      Here's his Silver Hawk he has stored out at Gene Winfield's place in the desert... He paid $100 for it and calls it a bunch of junk. Dick Steinkamp
                      We have seen those pictures here once before, haven't we~

Anyone remember where and why [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC