57 GH rear spring question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 GH rear spring question.

The back of my 57 GH sits noticeably higher than the front. I decided to check it out, and noticed that there are, what look like shackles, between the leaf springs, and the mounts. But they dont look like traditional shackles that use to be used in the old days. Those had several sets of holes that allowed you to adjust how much heigth you wanted. These just have holes in the top and bottom, that's it. Can anyone tell me if these are supposed to be there, or are the back of the springs supposed to bolt directly to the mounts?

Also, are air shocks available for Studebaker applications?

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

The back of my 57 GH sits noticeably higher than the front. I decided to check it out, and noticed that there are, what look like shackles, between the leaf springs, and the mounts. But they dont look like traditional shackles that use to be used in the old days. Those had several sets of holes that allowed you to adjust how much heigth you wanted. These just have holes in the top and bottom, that's it. Can anyone tell me if these are supposed to be there, or are the back of the springs supposed to bolt directly to the mounts?

Also, are air shocks available for Studebaker applications?
    You should have shackles, but not the aftermarket adjustable ones. Air shocks are not available, but brand X ones can be adapted.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The length of the leaf spring assembly is constantly changing as they compress and rebound, so they can't be mounted solidly at both ends. That's why shackles are used. The original ones on your car were 3" long on the passenger side and 3 1/2" long on the driver's side to compensate for the extra weight on that side.

[img][img]
      Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That is very interesting to know, and makes sense,but I'll have to check my car. I once made a set of rear shackles out of stainless and all 4 shackles ended up being the same length. I used 1 original as a pattern. Did I make boo-boo. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
        X