Teflon Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teflon Tape

I did a search of all the threads and did not find any mention of Teflon Tape.

So:

Question, when threading new lines, both oil and fuel can you use Teflon Tape? Someone said it would work it's way into the carb. I was going to use it about half way down just to seal the lines.

Thanks

Bill,

Teflon tape will do you no good. Flares seal against the seat in the fitting, not on the threads. If the flare is leaking you may need to change either the fitting or the double flare.

Good luck

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

Bill,

Teflon tape will do you no good. Flares seal against the seat in the fitting, not on the threads. If the flare is leaking you may need to change either the fitting or the double flare.

Sorry I should have made my self a bit more clear. The fittings I need to seal are not flared fittings, or look not be flare type.

Thanks

Comment

Bill,

It's the same deal with fittings if there is a seat and flare type fitting. If it's a NPT (National Pipe Thread)fitting that's a different story and pipe dope or teflon tape will do the job. Just don't run the tape over the end of the fitting.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks

The fittings are NPT type. Will save me a lot of grief.

Bill

Comment

Rules of thumb using Teflon tape...
            1) only 1.5 wraps max
            2) Try to use liquid, or paste Teflon instead of tape.
            3) Once you have used liquid or paste Teflon sealant, you will want to always use liquid or paste.
            4) If it is a casting, refer to #2.
            A lot of castings get cracked from someone taking 3 or 4 wraps around the fitting... Bad ju-ju....
            HTIH
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Thanks
            The fittings are NPT type. Will save me a lot of grief.
            Bill

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Don't forget about ferrule type fittings. If it is a ferrule type, it seals against the ferrule and no sealant is required.

John Clary
              Greer, SC
              I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Rules of thumb when using Teflon tape - "[u]DON'T USE IT</u>"..!

Use paste.
                I haven't used tape in over 40 years...and I'm better off.

1. too much chance of getting tape where you don't want it (filters, oil pump screen, carburetor needle and seat..etc.!).

2. if you do a little test...you'll see the tape does not stay where you want it to.

Like Jeff says...liquid (never seen this myself) or paste.

Mike

P.s. - as others have said NPT threads only.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

1. too much chance of getting tape where you don't want it (filters, oil pump screen, carburetor needle and seat..etc.!).
                  Second that one. I have firsthand experience with a Motorcraft carb off a Jeep 360 that was practically destroyed by tape bits from the fuel line clogging nearly every internal passage.

(The PO did it, not me!)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Use the paste unless you like little strings of silly putty in whatever you're building.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a tube of Lawson Tefseal Part #7138- Pipe sealant with teflon. Seems to work well but I never had a problem with the tap as long as you keep it back a thread or two from the end. The paste is just easier.

Comment

leyrret wrote -
                        "I never had a problem with the tap as long as you keep it back a thread or two from the end."

There more to it than that, and that doesn't always cut it either. See jlmccuan's note..!

Tape bewhere...

Mike

Comment

Gasoline will melt teflon tape. Do not use it on gas lines.

Dave Bonn
                          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Teflon is chemically inert and impervious to gasoline. That's part of the problem. If gasoline melted teflon -- then threads of it would not be around to travel and plug small orifices: plus, it would not have any sealing ability for where the cracks it is intended.

As long as people wrap fittings without attention to the direction of wrap, the number of wraps used, and letting the wrap extend beyond the fitting --- there will be shreds of teflon cut off to float to the most troublesome spots. They don't dissolve by original intent and design.
                            Another problem, that was touched upon earlier, the stuff is so slippery that when people tighten it down they often keep going until they feel the resistance they have been accustomed to. At that point they may well have split the fitting. Fittings manufacturers have recommendations as to the number/depth of turns to be used and do not specify torque.
                            I used teflon tape for twenty three years in industry without a problem. The fittings manufacturer/vendor promoted its use and took the trouble to teach its proper use. I like the tape because it's easy to carry to jobs and wasn't messy. After I had done hundreds of fittings over the years it was undoubtedly easier for me to convert to auto use than the first time users were able to do.
                            One thing I don't like is that its white color shows up and doesn't "look right" on a period car. The exposed tape can be trimmed with a razor blade on those applicatons.
                            Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
                            sigpic
                            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

One of the biggest problems with using teflon tape is that when you remove a fitting there is always residual tape left both in the female fitting and on the male fitting. You have to be very particular about cleaning both fittings before reassembly.

Comment

Working...
                              X