63,64 V8 engine compression question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63,64 V8 engine compression question.

What is the compression of a 63,64 stock 289(non Avanti) 4brl. with thick head gaskets?

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

We have been over this dozens of times, but people keep over-complicating the discussion into JT & Avanti, and I understand why you are confused.

Using the Stock (R1 Avanti) heads standard on the '63 CAR 289 and deep dished Stock 289 pistons the Compression is 8.5 all 1957 and on CAR V-8s rated the Comp. with the Stock THIN Gaskets! [:0]

This is what no one seems to understand!! [:0]

So if you want to do what almost all Mechanics did in the day, and buy an aftermarket replacement Gasket set, you always got the THICK Gaskets lowering the Comp. by .5 to 8.0

On a Truck not so! They have the Low Comp. heads and may have thick Gaskets for 7.0 or 7.5 to 1.

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

What is the compression of a 63,64 stock 289(non Avanti) 4brl. with thick head gaskets?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I read the question as something different. When asking for "compression", I thought that the poster wanted what the reading should be on a compression test, not what the compression ratio is. I agree with Rich on the latter, but think that for the former it should be about 140 psi with less than 10% variation. This way there is an answer to whichever item Joe really wanted.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
      X