63 Cruiser redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Cruiser redux

Times is tough! As you'll recall, I've recently acquired this '63 Cruiser at a local auction. I've got it running and driveable, save for the totally shot front bushings. I'm hoping to address them this week.

A few weeks ago I chanced to meet a fella that works at a local body shop. I was driving Pete that day and I asked this fella what he thought it would cost to fix Pete's bunged rear fender and bed corner. He said he could do it for $200 - that was without painting after the repairs were made. That sounded pretty fair to me and I took his name and number for future use.

I had him out to the house on Friday and asked for an estimate on the Cruiser's body woes. After walking around it and getting my assurance that I'd remove all the brightwork, he said he wanted $1200 to make the body perfect and ready to paint. This didn't sound too bad to me and I said I'd call him when I had it stripped of trim.
    Today, he called me back to say that after reconsideration, he was prepared to offer me a better price (Understand, the shop where he works is down to 3 days a week and some weeks even two!). $900 he says. I told him I'd have the car stripped this week.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Cool, I can't wait to see it when it is done!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Wow, Bob; good prices even without paint. Are you going to paint it yourself or ??? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I wanna try. We'll see.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob how many spray cans do you think it will take?...Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I'm not concerned since I'll be using Walmart's house brand stuff. I think it's about a buck a can.[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I'm not concerned since I'll be using Walmart's house brand stuff. I think it's about a buck a can.[:0]
              Sounds like how I paint things!? [B)][}]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
              May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
              http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Hey, it's how I painted my '87 F-150 last summer. Turned out pretty darn nice, too. The guy I sold it to was pleased that if he messes it up while using it in his tree-trimming business, it won't cost him a fortune to touch it up.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Wow, great price!

Comment

That outta beat Maaco by hundreds of $ and have better MASKING! [^]

You should go for the big bucks, and get Rust-Oleum, it'll still be way cheap! [:0]
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does Walmart or Rust-o-leum have anything that approximates Blue Mist Metallic??? I don't wanna havta Jamb the car![B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                      X