Kirby's (im)famous collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirby's (im)famous collection

When I took the pix of his diesel Lark (another post), I was there to try to help a club member buy one of his cars. I took a bunch of pictures. While most are Studebakers, he has Packards, Kaisers, Hudsons, Mopars and a few others. Virtually all these cars were driven to where they are now. Some are for sale, but that kind of depends on how he feels at that particular time. The more desirable ones he still "plans to restore some day" (like the three '58 Packard hardtops- see teaser photos below).
    You can view the overall pix at http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohns...ars%203-09-09/
    Unfortunately I don't have a website, just web space on my ISP that I use for pictures so you have to click on an image number, look at it then click "back" and continue the process. And, I didn't take time to lable the photos so it's kind of potluck. The two cars under tarps are a '61 and a '62 convertible. The 2R wrecker could probably be had, but it has a cracked block (one-ton with a 170 engine).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Thanks for the photos, Paul. Easy to access as soon as you get the hang of going back & forth clicking.

What a sad pile of iron...and so many honestly unusual pieces in it. Ten years ago, maybe most of them had some restoration potential. Now, while it's true anything can be "restored" with enough time and money, most of these have gone beyond reason and will hopefully yield good parts before the crusher gets there after he's gone.

Geeze, "fields of dreams" like this just break your heart when you consider the rarity of so many of those models.

Again, thanks for taking the time to photo and post, Paul. 'Looks like it might have been a brisk day to be out doing that! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow- What a shame. On the other hand, do the trees growing through the rear quarter qualify this car as a late model Woody?

Always thinking of marketing possibilities...

The Other Dave

Comment

What the heck is this one?

Got Torque?
        Got Torque?

Comment

That's about a '49 Nash

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[u]Caution</u>~ many photos of very sad cars can be found at that link.

I only saw about eight to ten I'd like to drag home~
            Now, if I only had one to drag them too... [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

That's about a '49 Nash
              [}] Bob, I think it's a 1950...so it "is about a '49!" Larger back window and concealed gas filler under a gas filler "door." Not a '51, of course, since the '51s had all-new quarter panels with more-or-less vertical tail lights set in the rear of the quarters.

IIRC, '49 had an exposed gas filler pipe and cap sticking out of the rear fender in about the same place. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This black '64 Cruiser is a broadcloth interior model. He bought a NOS broadcloth interior for it years ago for its restoration.

Torrey does have some nice cars in his buildings. And, he has sold some of his more precious ones in the past several years (like a full package '64 Super Lark R-2 Daytona hardtop). That car was sold new at Porterfield Studebaker in Martinsburg, WV and he wanted it to stay in the same town so he sold it to the son of the former Studebaker dealer. It is in the last stages of a good restoration.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Does the owner wish to sell any parts&gt; jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Does the owner wish to sell any parts&gt; jimmijim
                    No. Every part he has is for use when he restores the cars[V].

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Thanks for the photos, Paul.
                      ...Again, thanks for taking the time to photo and post, Paul. 'Looks like it might have been a brisk day to be out doing that! BP
                      It was about 50 and the wind was blowing pretty good. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but today I have my second cold of the season.

Comment

It is sad to think that most of these were driven to where they are now parked.
                        The GT Hawk looks like it might be pretty solid, and that 4-Dr '61 Lark definately looks good, and since it has a Texas license plate it could be rust-free.
                        Thanks for posting these photo's, they are interesting.

Jim B
                        Snohomish,Wa

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jbrotten

It is sad to think that most of these were driven to where they are now parked.
                          The GT Hawk looks like it might be pretty solid, and that 4-Dr '61 Lark definately looks good, and since it has a Texas license plate it could be rust-free.
                          Thanks for reminding me. That Autumn Haze '61 Cruiser was virtually rust free. It is a 259 with overdrive. However, the engine is stuck.

I think that is one of his "restore some day" cars, but you never know. I was tempted to test him on that because my first new car and first Studebaker was a '61 Cruiser in Autumn Haze.
                          The dash pad is really shot as is the upholstery, especially the top of the rear seat back. And, unfortunately, one tallight lens is gone and the other isn't very good.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures! I always love to look at pictures of yards[^] That Lark in picture #10 looks like it's ticked off that it's been left to stare at that Kaiser instead of on the road

Boy, I'd love to have that '61 Lark[] See if he'll let it go

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Wow, TWO '58 Packard hardtops! For such a low-production car, those body style has a pretty amazing survival rate.

I think these things are just beautiful. My goal is to own one, one day.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X