Swapmeet suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapmeet suggestion

I dont know if this has ever been brought up before, but what do you guys think about voluntarily wearing some type of name tags when forum members go to swapmeets?

I know that a lot of you guys know each other, but us newbies dont. I talked to dozens of people and vendors at York, and I probably talked to many of you without knowing who you were, and you not knowing who I was. Jim Bradly was kind enough to introduce me to a lot of people, but I cant remember names, let alone remembering forum names as well, so if I met anyone, I'll probably not remember their name the next time we meet.

Maybe just a paper sticky tag with our first name, forum name, and club chapter if we have one.

I think it would especially help the vendors, because if I saw two vendors selling the same thing, and one was a forum member and the other wasnt, I'd probably buy from the forum member.

Any comments?

Yea some wear the shirt and button see here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?TOPIC_ID=9538
    I fully intended on picking both up at York but the selection of parts I "needed" broke the bank. Guess I'll have to order some[:I]

Edit: Jerry, now you have me wondering, did you possibly go to the Washington Twp VFD swap meet last March? I met somebody there that was working on a Hawk and it was just by chance I was holding a Studebaker dog dish hubcap.

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Bondobilly sells "voluntary" buttons. Sometimes it clashes with the forum GQ attire for some, though. Were you at the photo op at high noon at the car corral? Good place to meet your favorite suspects on Saturday.

Comment

Ya just gotta read those 'stickys' at the top of the page...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

York was my first official swapmeet, although I did go to Reedsville about 10 years ago, because I liked Hawks, and wanted to see if there were any there.

I did not know anything about the photo at noon. No one mentioned it to me. But only a couple of people know me, and I doubt if anyone was worried about keeping track of everyone. Guess I will have to start reading those stickies.

Comment

I too feel like I missed out on a lot because I didn't connect with many forum members at York. This was my first meet. I enjoyed it alot. The only forum member I met was Mark Spicer (Rusty65) and that is only because I recognized his car from a picture I had seen earlier and introduced myself when he arrived.

Before the meet, I asked about buttons, and Bonodbilly told me to find his booth and he would give me one. If I had asked around, I am sure I would have found him easily enough. However, few if any booths were labeled. I was standing 30 feet away from the picture when everyone started gathering, but it was too late. And, I didn't have a clue what was going on.

It was only a stroke of luck and timing that allowed me to attend a swap meet that was 1400 miles away from home. When luck strikes again (if it does) I will make sure to be more on-the-ball when it comes to meeting forum members.

I was able to beg a Studebaker ride from non-forum member Tony Chenko of NJ. He cruised me around in his modified 53 for a while. I am sure I looked silly with a big grin on my face.

Rob in ND. 53 Hardtop work in progress.
            Rob in ND
            \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

I have a hat, a Golf shirt, and two buttons from various Stude Internet forums...going back to 2002...
              There is a neat SDC Forum button out there...
              Look for the sticky...
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

I dont know if this has ever been brought up before, but what do you guys think about voluntarily wearing some type of name tags when forum members go to swapmeets?

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Maybe part of the SDC or individual chapter dues should go towards a nametag. It could have "SDC" and, if applicable, the chapter that you belong to engraved on it, and then have a place where you can slide in a small card that has your name and, if applicable, forum name.

That way, everyone would have one, and they would be uniform. Maybe each chapter could choose a different color, so that people could locate specific chapter members from a distance.

Bought in quantity, they wouldnt be very expensive.

Comment

The idea of a group photo was almost an afterthought, proposed in a post to the Forum the Sunday before the Meet.

The Keystone Chapter made four announcements over the PA system, starting at 11:15 Saturday. The PA is only heard inside the buildings. Stuff like this happens.

I have a name tag from the Keystone Chapter [u]AND</u> a Forum member button. I've never had anyone rush up to me and say,"Hey,Brad"! We're looking for that elusive part and chatting with folks we already know.

The group photo is a good idea. It takes almost no planning but a great deal of pre-informing. It enabled me to meet many Forum members I have walked by many times.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X