Back from YORK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from YORK

I just want to thank all the fine folks I met this weekend at YORK. A special thanks to BAMS50 for showing me around. I sure got a lot of great tips that will help me in my pursuit of a GT Hawk which I hope to drive on July 4th.

And for those that don't already know I am looking for a strong #3 or #2 GT Hawk.
    Peter Bishop

How strong I have a 62 with 300 hp 327 and 4 speed and 373 tt rear end , is that strong enough ?...Bob...but I do know what you really mean.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Hi Bob-

Pete means strong condition-wise, that's why he mentioned #3 or #2; those are condition numbers. And I'm pretty sure he wants Stude power.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob heck I knew that, and besides my 62 is not for sale, just adding to the list like every one else.....Bob
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

My impressions of York as a vendor.I leaned as a vendor of NOS parts, you can sell on Ebay or at flea markets, but not both. i.e., a part that I sell on ebay for $50 or more, stays on my table for $35 or less. I got frustrated trying to offer parts at bargain prices and hearing silly counter offers. Selling parts at a discount price and spending the extra expense is getting old. I'll still vend the big iron, but flea marketing small items does not work for me.
          It seems the ebay effect is cutting down on both vendors and the car corral. Years ago, the spaces inside were always sold out, and the car corral was packed. The socializing is still as good as ever though.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

My impressions of York as a vendor.I leaned as a vendor of NOS parts, you can sell on Ebay or at flea markets, but not both. i.e., a part that I sell on ebay for $50 or more, stays on my table for $35 or less. I got frustrated trying to offer parts at bargain prices and hearing silly counter offers. Selling parts at a discount price and spending the extra expense is getting old. I'll still vend the big iron, but flea marketing small items does not work for me.
            Same here. I only took things that I didn't want to ship (cranksahft set, etc.)

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As a buyer at York, I also found some prices to be based on recent eBay prices that used to never be near that amount. That's fair, it's now the market price barometer for many sellers and buyers. I add in my mind what would be the shipping cost and figure it's well worth it to buy it there. I still found great deals that were much more reasonably priced than eBay, but I can see how frustrating it would be as a vendor to deal with customers that still love to make silly offers to get a better deal. None of that face to face stuff on eBay, but as a buyer I love that part. I'd sure hate to pack all of those parts up and take it all home every meet. I commend all vendors for their efforts. It's tons of work.

I tried to buy something from you at the table, JP, just didn't work out part number-wise. I got my share from you on eBay this year, though. Your chassis parts book came in handy for reference. Thanks & sorry, didn't mean to use it without buying it, but I have two or three at home. [B)]

Comment

Hey, those old parts books are a community library until sold.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

As a person that has vended for many years at different swap meets across the country and close by let me tell you it is a lot of work and a lot of time, I have said why do I do this? yes E-bay is the way to go for a seller but it also is a lot of work getting items ready and up for auction and then answer question when you have time and send invoices and package to ship, and take to shipper, yes that is a lot of work also, but the bottom line we need the venders with out vender we have no club, I always buy my share at the swap meets I go to and hope others do so to so we can keep this going on for many years to come it is still fun to be there and meet new people, Thank you people that have gotten parts from over the years at the meets and on E-bay....Bob Peterson
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X