An unexpected Stude sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unexpected Stude sighting

Well, I've now seen my first Studebakers of '09...and I haven't seen the first robin of the year yet!

Was out near Paris, Ontario, this afternoon, sadly sans camera (the weather today has ranged from gloomy to monsoon); went by a place I had noticed many times before, a row of garages with vintage gas pumps, petrol signs, et cetera, ranged around...have always assumed there were some old cars there but never actually saw any until today. Out in the weeds sat what was left of a pink '59 Lark wagon.

Turns out the collector whose place this is has had a number of Studes over the years (and plenty of other marques also); the Lark had been there for decades, but was not visible from the road until some trees were cleared recently. It still has its flathead six installed; it's available as a parts car, about $300 would take it. (If I had the space, I might take it myself...I feel sorry for it.)

Inside the garages were lots of neat vehicles including a Rolls, a Packard 4dr convertible, a 48 Pontiac droptop, two Rambler droptops, and two more Studebakers: a South Bend-built '64 GT Hawk automatic (possibly an R1, and also for sale...$11K) and an interesting '50 Champion Starlight sporting a truly odd custom touch, a pair of large bugle-like horns mounted atop the hood! It had apparently once also worn a wind-turned propeller on the grille bullet; the fitment for attaching such was still present.

Owner also said he has some Hawk spares (doors, grilles, etc).

Of course I was kicking myself round the block for not bringing my camera...I almost never travel anywhere without it. If I find myself paying a repeat visit to the area, I'll certainly not be without it next time! May drive out in my own Lark sometime. Meantime, thought this sighting might be of some interest to the forum...

Cheers

Steve T

Bummer about the camera. I, on the other hand have seen about fifty robins...but no Studebakers.(other than mine)

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Working...
    X