X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with truck numbers

2R16A
    s/n R16A-42174
    GVW 14.000 (I know, just want to be complete)
    Cab 2R-C2
    Cab #229994
    Trim T60
    Paint P2399

I'm mostly curious about how much towing weight, with a chassis mounted hitch and lightweight bed, this truck could pull. It is said to have a 245 6 cylinder with 4 speed.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

It could probably handle a pretty hefty load. But don't get in a hurry when it comes to goin'. Or stoppin'.

A 2R16 would be a 1.5 ton truck. Same as the '51 dump truck I had. (Granddad has now). Never heard of any sort of towing capacity on ANY Stude truck.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

BUMP!! I know there are lurkers out there who know the answers. Put down the beer and type!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Fact is that when these trucks were built, towing capacity was not a common statistic to be published or thought about. Even though some where used as "tractors"(hauling trailers). Unlike todays pickups.
        The only capacity quoted that gives a hint was gross combination weight.
        I have the spec book for 8E trucks and the closest analog to the 2R16A,
        would be an 8E28A with a gross combination weight of 29,000 #s vs a Gross Vehicle Weight of 16000 #s. This is all dependent on specific equipment ordered with the truck, some like HD engine, fishplated frames and springs etc
        would increase the GVW and the GCW.
        Keep in mind the popularity of bumper pull and gooseneck trailers etc started well after Studebaker quit making trucks.

My best guess based on your trucks equipment maybe a 7500 lb bumper hitch type trailer. It might pull something bigger, but stopping might or might not be a concern.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

Working...