Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker announces shut down of S.B.

Here is an article that ran in the Richmond Times Dispatch 43 years ago today.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Here is an article that ran in the Richmond Times Dispatch.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/
    Rather a shame that they din't use their profits to modernize their factories over time, then again in the mad days of the 50s I guess they were run over by the big 3. It probably wouldn't have made a difference had they done so without a large capital base to work with and the diversification program was the right thing to do.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Here is an article that ran in the Richmond Times Dispatch.

Rather a shame that they din't use their profits to modernize their factories over time, then again in the mad days of the 50s I guess they were run over by the big 3. It probably wouldn't have made a difference had they done so without a large capital base to work with and the diversification program was the right thing to do.

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      Lockleys South Australia
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Actually, it was announced on Dec 9, 1963 that auto production would end on Dec. 20, 1963.[xx(] Merry Christmas to the Studebaker employees.

Comment

Actually, it was announced on Dec 9, 1963 that auto production would end on Dec. 20, 1963.[xx(] Merry Christmas to the Studebaker employees.

Comment

quote: Actually, it was announced on Dec 9, 1963 that auto production would end on Dec. 20, 1963. Merry Christmas to the Studebaker employees
            Oops! I should have said that the article ran in the Richmond Times Dispatch on December 10, 1963. I have changed the heading[:0]

Comment

quote: Actually, it was announced on Dec 9, 1963 that auto production would end on Dec. 20, 1963. Merry Christmas to the Studebaker employees
              Oops! I should have said that the article ran in the Richmond Times Dispatch on December 10, 1963. I have changed the heading[:0]

Comment

Hi
                A sad anniversay, to be sure.

It is interesting to read the comments of the union official noting the outmoded facilities as the cause. He didn't bother to mention the unions' roll in the failure, the overly generous contract they "negotiated" with Studebaker management in the '40' and early '50's that resulted one of the lowest productivity per unit and a unit cost 10-12% higher than industry average. Management shares the blame equally for not working to keep those cost in line with the industry, putting Studebaker at a disadvantage. It would have meant giving up their title as " the friendliest factory in America" Better they should have lost the title and keep the factory viable.

Regardless of how good the Studebakers were, ultimately more competitive prices, model for model, features for features, from cars acceptable to customers decided the issue.

If readers see parallels with the current industry troubles, then you are to be congratuated for being astute!

Steve

Comment

Hi
                  A sad anniversay, to be sure.

It is interesting to read the comments of the union official noting the outmoded facilities as the cause. He didn't bother to mention the unions' roll in the failure, the overly generous contract they "negotiated" with Studebaker management in the '40' and early '50's that resulted one of the lowest productivity per unit and a unit cost 10-12% higher than industry average. Management shares the blame equally for not working to keep those cost in line with the industry, putting Studebaker at a disadvantage. It would have meant giving up their title as " the friendliest factory in America" Better they should have lost the title and keep the factory viable.

Regardless of how good the Studebakers were, ultimately more competitive prices, model for model, features for features, from cars acceptable to customers decided the issue.

If readers see parallels with the current industry troubles, then you are to be congratuated for being astute!

Steve

Comment

What is that guy putting in the trunk with his toolbox?
                    Looks like an electric motor for a machine of somekind??

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28
                    4E2
                    59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

What is that guy putting in the trunk with his toolbox?
                      Looks like an electric motor for a machine of somekind??

3E38
                      4E2
                      4E28
                      5E13
                      7E7
                      8E7
                      8E12
                      8E28
                      4E2
                      59 Lark
                      etc

Comment

there is a photograph that pops up from time to time of the office staff in South Bend holding up a sign announcing the closing of the plant. The thing that bothers me about it is that they all look like it's the happiest day of their lives. All except one man standing to the left and behind. The only sober face in the group.

It's easy to say from our standpoint that the Union did this wrong, the management did that wrong, a case of 20/20 hind sight.

There was a time when one could choose from over twenty American automobile manufacturers. It's currently down to two (Chrysler is now German). Soon it will possibly be one.

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

there is a photograph that pops up from time to time of the office staff in South Bend holding up a sign announcing the closing of the plant. The thing that bothers me about it is that they all look like it's the happiest day of their lives. All except one man standing to the left and behind. The only sober face in the group.

It's easy to say from our standpoint that the Union did this wrong, the management did that wrong, a case of 20/20 hind sight.

There was a time when one could choose from over twenty American automobile manufacturers. It's currently down to two (Chrysler is now German). Soon it will possibly be one.

Lotsa Larks!
                          Ron Smith
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The failure to modernize the factories is certainly true. In early 1950 my folks were in the market for a new car. They toured the Chevy factory and Studebaker. My dad told me of how Studebaker still had dirt floors in areas of the factory. One thing that did impress him was the old men with thick glasses working under a bare bulb assembling a particular component. Who knows, maybe the dim bulb was the cause for the thick glasses! But anyway, those old guys made him think of craftsmanship. Most striking was comparing the way doors were adjusted. Studebaker did it the way we would; adjust and try it, adjust and try it until the door fit right. At Chevrolet they beat on the hinge with a big hammer to bend it one way or stuck the hammer handle into the hinge and then closed the door on it until it bent enough the other way for the door to fit. Needless to say, he said the Chevy guys were very much quicker than the Stude guys but dad also said he didn't want some guy beating on his new Stude with a big hammer!

My folks said at first the bullet nose had to be the ugliest car ever made. But they kept going back to the dealer looking them over until finally they thought those cars were beautful and bought a Champion. Like I've said before, Studes are a lot like babies, no matter how ugly they are to everyone else, their owners/parents think they're the most beautiful thing on earth.

Comment

The failure to modernize the factories is certainly true. In early 1950 my folks were in the market for a new car. They toured the Chevy factory and Studebaker. My dad told me of how Studebaker still had dirt floors in areas of the factory. One thing that did impress him was the old men with thick glasses working under a bare bulb assembling a particular component. Who knows, maybe the dim bulb was the cause for the thick glasses! But anyway, those old guys made him think of craftsmanship. Most striking was comparing the way doors were adjusted. Studebaker did it the way we would; adjust and try it, adjust and try it until the door fit right. At Chevrolet they beat on the hinge with a big hammer to bend it one way or stuck the hammer handle into the hinge and then closed the door on it until it bent enough the other way for the door to fit. Needless to say, he said the Chevy guys were very much quicker than the Stude guys but dad also said he didn't want some guy beating on his new Stude with a big hammer!

My folks said at first the bullet nose had to be the ugliest car ever made. But they kept going back to the dealer looking them over until finally they thought those cars were beautful and bought a Champion. Like I've said before, Studes are a lot like babies, no matter how ugly they are to everyone else, their owners/parents think they're the most beautiful thing on earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X