I D Building at South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I D Building at South Bend

My wife needs to know what this building is. And is it one of Studebaker's building. In the back parking lot of SASCO you can see it. too bad she didn't use the zoom.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

That's The Studebaker Foundry. It's about the only major building remaining, so it's easy to identify![V] If you could look down each of those four big, dark cones on the roof, you'd see individual furnaces, so to speak.

Close your eyes and imagine calendar year 1950, when more than 300,000 engine blocks and the same number of cylinder heads, or more, were produced there (car, truck, and service engine production total)...over 1,000 of each every working day! BP.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob. She always writes on the picture what it is. I couldn't tell her cause I didn't know.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

Those pictures always make me nostalgic. Is there ever a chance to go in there and look?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Those pictures always make me nostalgic. Is there ever a chance to go in there and look?

Robert (Bob) Andrews

Myself, Craig Parslow, and maybe a half-dozen guys on the Forum will have to plead the Fifth Amendment, Bob.[}]

Yes, I've looked upward toward the sky from the bottom of those cones maybe 5 or 6 times. Does that answer your question? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, if you ever hear of anyone going, DO NOT invite me, because I would NEVER go!!

(wink wink, nudge nudge)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Well, if you ever hear of anyone going, DO NOT invite me, because I would NEVER go!!

(wink wink, nudge nudge)

Robert (Bob) Andrews
              Are you going to the May Swap Meet in South Bend, Bob? BP

Comment

I might now....................................................

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

BP, I'll be driving up from Zionsville and will be at SASCO by 8:00 am, so me to pleeease!!!!!

Comment

Gee... wouldn't it be fun to travel back to South Bend for the Swap Meet this May? Hmmm...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Geez, I was kidding!! Imagine peer-pressuring poor BP into leading a big group of half-strangers on a trespassing mission through a derepit, uninsured old building..... I wouldn't count on it- imagine if sombody got hurt[B)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                        Myself, Craig Parslow, and maybe a half-dozen guys on the Forum will have to plead the Fifth Amendment, Bob.[}]
                        What Bob REALLY means is PICTURES DON'T LIE!

Craig

Comment

Maybe that's why we 'forgot' to ask you on the Friday morning! We knew you didn't want to go anyway!!

Craig

Comment

So, if that door isn't open this time, is the only way in by way of that famous culvert, BP? That's the shot that I want to see, sneaking in that way. [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

So, if that door isn't open this time, is the only way in by way of that famous culvert, BP? That's the shot that I want to see, sneaking in that way. [8D]
                              The famous culvert was our access to The Proving Ground on the far west edge of the property along Indiana State Road 2, Dave; not the Foundry. (Believe me, you wouldn't want to be underground anywhere around the foundry...talk about your environmental impact!)[xx(] BP

Comment

Working...
                              X