Can anyone tell me the year??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me the year??

Hello everybody! I need to know what year this car is. It may have parts I need to fix mine. Thanks Tracy

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
    '63 Lark

quote:Originally posted by shewolf

Hello everybody! I need to know what year this car is. It may have parts I need to fix mine. Thanks Tracy

It looks like an early production 1965 Commander, 6 cylinder with OD to me. Being a 1965, it will have the 194 GM engine.

Craig

Comment

Will the a/c stuff fit my 63 V-8 259?

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
      '63 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by shewolf

Will the a/c stuff fit my 63 V-8 259?
        You will have to round up the proper brackets for the compressor and the correct crankshaft pulley to make it work for your car.

Craig

Comment

Snag that inside unit if reasonable..
          IF you can't find the mounting brackets and pulleys for your Studebaker Engine, They not that difficult to fabricate.

Visit my Tech-pages at: http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechIndex.htm

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

It looks like an early production 1965 Commander, 6 cylinder with OD to me. Being a 1965, it will have the 194 GM engine.

Craig
            Craig - I'm curious [8)], what makes you think it's an early '65? What little I have read suggests that A/C wasn't available on early '65 models as that was one of the options not available early on as they needed time to get the McKinnon engines fitted into the vehicles and into production.[?]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

[/quote]

You will have to round up the proper brackets for the compressor and the correct crankshaft pulley to make it work for your car.

Craig
              [/quote]

Is the compressor the same as the 63? Thanks,Steve (for Tracy)
              sigpic

Comment

I would open the door and get the Serial number then you'll [u]know</u> what it is. I think we are guessing without that. Why couldn't it be a late '64 6 Cyl. Canadian built Comm. 6. and if we are guessing it's a 6 because there is no "8" Emblem, even that could fool you if the fenders were replaced!

All I can tell is that it is a '64 or '65 Canadian built, because of the White steering wheel.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with StudeRich. If it was built in '65 the chances are it was built in Canada. After the South Bend plant closed in '63 there wasn't much US production. Nice catch on the steering wheel color though. I wish I had your Studebaker knowledge. Hopefully by owning and driving a lot more, I'll start to catch up.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

This car is from the same guy that has the 58 Packard wagon, in Claverack, NY- 194 miles from me, and several states from Steve and Tracy; so nobody's there to get the numbers unless you could get the seller to do it.

One thought on the compressor, and those with more knowledge here please correct as needed- I have always been of the opinion that chances are a multi-decades old compressor probably isn't worth fooling with; particularly if it's a gigantic York. If you're switching an A/C system from one car to the other, I'd prefer to toss at least the compressor and lines for new. Of course, while you're at it, you can switch to the ostensibly more efficient Sanden compressor.

Also- be sure to look at Ray's A/C install info. I scrapped the idea of searching out an original under-hood setup, and instead will follow Ray's design. Simpler, and IMO a better design. Yet another thanks to Ray-Lin Restorations!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

One more thing Tracy: I believe yours is a 63, right? If so, I don't believe that evaporator is "correct" for a 63. Maybe that doesn't matter to you; just a heads-up if you care.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The seller is supposed to check some things for us including the firewall tag. I was hoping it would all be correct,but I dont know that it makes a difference. We just need AC here in the summer so it may be as economical to just buy the vintage air setup. I have a small token bid on this car already so we will see what happens.Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

/Cut/We just need AC here in the summer so it may be as economical to just buy the vintage air setup./Cut/
                          No, actually it would be WAY more economical to get a period correct Evaporator like this one and have a A/C Shop build the rest from modern parts using the Sanden compressor that bams50 recommended! [:0]

With a Vintage, you have to hang a whole bunch of junk under the dash and cut up the dash, and pay way more.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did anyone notice the parking brake warning light on the dash? I know it was offered in 1966, but I don't know about 1965.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Pk. Bk. Warning light: Standard on '65 and '66.

Yep, that could be the giveaway! [^] Good call, Craig is just holding out on us, he knew that!

Fits '64 but not shown as available in the '64 Accessories Booklet or the PD64-17 Showroom/Salesman's Manual.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X