X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Frost & French plate frames

Anybody need some?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Me!

I live right down the street from where they used to be.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I prefer the earlier versions with Studebaker on the frame. You have to be in the know to figure out the Frost and French connection.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

$50? Seriously? For a license plate frame?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I wonder how many Dad has in his 'stash' (or on cars) already...

He worked there for a time, don't ya know???

StudeDave '57 [8D]
          San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
          San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
          '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
          '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
          '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
          '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Those are both Rear Plates (large part at the bottom), and as JDP said they are the later ones without Studebaker. I think I only have one Front/Rear pair of new ones left which are for one of my cars from the L.A. area.

I am still looking for nice a set of Frank H. Afton, Inglewood (Calif.) lic. frames to put on Frank Afton's Black '58 President Sedan.

I don't think I have enough money to get BarnLark's away from him! Lol!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I see the picture shows two frames, and the listing says two available. So I wonder if the auction is for one of two pair available, or just one frame, of which two are available...?

Can't believe the seller didn't think of that... that's a recipe for an unhappy customer, at that price[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Holy Cow! I have a few of those around here somewhere! I also have a few "Village Studebaker"

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

I have a NOS Frost & French frame with Studebaker on the top.
                  I got it of ebay a few months ago,i think i paid to much but i
                  wanted it.I am going to put it on the back of my 63 Avanti.

Lenny
                  Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Frost & French were a Packard & Studebaker Dealer legend in their own time. Remember picking up a pair of those frames for $2 back in 1976. Gee, its great to remember back that far.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

I'll stick with the ones attached to my car when it was purchased there in 1970.
                      Mission creep, y'know...

On my car, both the f/r were the same, just like the set pictured. I wonder if they changed the sub-head to "Los Angeles" after '66?

Andy
                      62 GT

Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich

I am still looking for nice a set of Frank H. Afton, Inglewood (Calif.) lic. frames to put on Frank Afton's Black '58 President Sedan.

I don't think I have enough money to get BarnLark's away from him! Lol!

I don't have a set, Rich, just one. Two Frost &French frames with chrome that doesn't need re-plated for $25 a piece seems very reasonably priced to me. Plating my frame was not cheap, more than a pair of those. I'm not married to that frame, Rich. If you have something to trade, I don't mind working something out since I know your family history there at Frank Afton. (I did say vows to my convertible belt mouldings, though. )

Comment

Frost & French license plate frames.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                          I prefer the earlier versions with Studebaker on the frame. You have to be in the know to figure out the Frost and French connection.

JDP/Maryland
                          Yes, one certainly needs to be in the know, and so...here's my first post of this site which I found by Googling "Frost & French license plate frames."

Be aware that STUDEBAKER did not appear on Frost & French license plate frames prior to 1970. Frost & French was originally a Ford dealer (1925/40), then Packard (1940/58) and finally Studebaker.

In 1970, I suggested to Walter Bibens, part owner of Frost & French, that by replacing LOS ANGELES with STUDEBAKER, instead of giving away the frames for free, we could sell them at the part counter.

And, that's exactly what occurred.

StudeDave57: Is your father Richard Gahlbeck, who was a partsman at Frost & French and whose father was a salesman at Frank H. Afton and a CPO in the USN?
                          Last edited by WinM1895; 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                            StudeDave57: Is your father Richard Gahlbeck, who was a partsman at Frost & French and whose father was a salesman at Frank H. Afton and a CPO in the USN?
                            Indeed!!! Dad posts here often- his 'handle' is "StudeRich".

Welcome to the Forum!!!
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Bill Wilson?

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                              /Cut/StudeDave57: Is your father Richard Gahlbeck, who was a partsman at Frost & French and whose father was a salesman at Frank H. Afton and a CPO in the USN?
                              Hi Bill, I see you still remember a few things! Yep, it's me alright!

I always wondered what happened to you. Do you still have some Packards or maybe a Stude. or Two? Good to see you here, welcome to the SDC Forum.

Dr. Gil Zimmerman is here also, and quite a few old friends and Frost & French Customers from the L.A. Area.

Remember that White on White '66 Daytona Sports Sedan with Maroon Interior, 283 and Overdrive that was on the showroom floor back in '67? I drove that one for a Test Drive when my Wife & I were considering buying it, it was $2500.00 quite a discount, but we stuck with the Avanti Red '63 Wagonaire.
                              That would be before you worked there I think, but it survives and is owned by my friend and forum member Warren Webb.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X