"Brass" Starlight coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Brass" Starlight coupe

I was going through some old pictues of mine and I found this picture of a "custom" Starlight coupe (1950?). The radiator emblem looks like it came off a 1950 Champion glovebox door. I have no idea what the radiator is originally from. When I took this picture about 1990, it was in a pasture near Boelus, Nebraska. I saw it again when it was sold at auction there in about 1997. I figured it would be parted out, but I saw a picture of what I think was the same car, from the SDC International meet in Omaha in 2006. Can someone confirm that this old "brass gasser" still exists?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

quote:Originally posted by Lothar

I was going through some old pictues of mine and I found this picture of a "custom" Starlight coupe (1950?). The radiator emblem looks like it came off a 1950 Champion glovebox door. I have no idea what the radiator is originally from. When I took this picture about 1990, it was in a pasture near Boelus, Nebraska. I saw it again when it was sold at auction there in about 1997. I figured it would be parted out, but I saw a picture of what I think was the same car, from the SDC International meet in Omaha in 2006. Can someone confirm that this old "brass gasser" still exists?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    I can't help you on the existing part. But gawd help me i'm in love with the car. How much buzz would you get at the Artic Circle with that baby.

Comment

Dave
      Thanks for the pics! I'm glad to see that this truly unique Stude is still in one piece, and still in Nebraska. Somehow I doubt that Raymond Loewy would approve of the way that some farmer restyled his (Bob Bourke's) design.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

What is the story behind this car?

Dylan
        '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

What is the story behind this car?
          Dylan
          I like to know that also, and if it ever hits craigs or ebay i'd like to know. I like it more than my girlfiends nose piercings and black lipstick. I may just give up on my old speester dream and build a Replicant>

Comment

I know nothing about why it was created or who made it. As you can see in my picture, it had a 1972 license plate, so it was probably built up in the 1960s or early 70s in rural Nebraska. Doesn't it look like it drove right out of one of those old Ed "Big Daddy" Roth hot rod cartoons?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
            Holdrege NE
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lothar

I know nothing about why it was created or who made it. As you can see in my picture, it had a 1972 license plate,
              So does anyone have an answer to the original question, is it still in existence and if so where's it at.

Comment

I just checked with my county treasurer. Up until a few years ago, you could look up the owner of a vehicle from the license number. Thats confidential information now in Nebraska, though. Dang stalkers! Since I'm out here on the High Plains, I'm pretty isolated from most other Studebaker owners in the rest of the state. I think that "41 Frank" is pretty well-connected to most Studebaker people in the metro Omaha area. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                Holdrege NE
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Well, I drive around in omaha about twice a week, and I can honestly say that I have never seen this car. But if I do, this will be the first place I post it. (The local chapter here is having an 'orphan car show' this May, in Ralston (omaha metro area) I will keep my eyes out for it!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Working...
                  X