X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed-up '58 Commander

Hi
    Poor '58!!

How about those custom taillights?? Reminds me of a Checker....
    The rest of the car......poor '58, a victim of ......?
    Your Comments?
    Steve

I hope someone saves the poor thing. The vendor states:

THE BACK TIRES JUST NEED TO BE AIRED UP, BUT ALL TIRES IN DECENT SHAPE. THE INTERIOR LOOKS REALLY GOOD.

THE DASH JUST NEEDS TO BE SCREWED BACK IN.

THE OWNER STATES THAT WITH MAYBE A FEW HOURS WORK, THE STUDEBAKER WOULD START RIGHT UP. IT DOES NEED A BATTERY.

How much trouble would it be to put air in the back tires or to screw in the dash and if it only takes a few hours work to start it, why wouldn't they do it? It sure would sell better if it ran!

The lights on the fin sort of look like the ones on this thing that Mr. Biggs posted.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I hope someone saves the poor thing. The vendor states:

THE BACK TIRES JUST NEED TO BE AIRED UP, BUT ALL TIRES IN DECENT SHAPE. THE INTERIOR LOOKS REALLY GOOD.

THE DASH JUST NEEDS TO BE SCREWED BACK IN.

THE OWNER STATES THAT WITH MAYBE A FEW HOURS WORK, THE STUDEBAKER WOULD START RIGHT UP. IT DOES NEED A BATTERY.

How much trouble would it be to put air in the back tires or to screw in the dash and if it only takes a few hours work to start it, why wouldn't they do it? It sure would sell better if it ran!

The lights on the fin sort of look like the ones on this thing that Mr. Biggs posted.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I'm gonna pose a question here. If you think the idea's a bad one, so state or suggest alternatives.

I wouldn't use a lens anything like what's used on this car or that stubby wagon I put up photos of, BUT... I have been toying with the idea of adding a third lens to the center of that teardrop-shaped chrome piece that has the BU lite towards it's bottom. This thrid lens would be for the turn signal - the brake-tail lites would be just that, brake and tail.
        I'm thinking a clear lens (smaller, but with a shape in keeping with the tail and BU lens) using an amber-colored bulb. What say???

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm gonna pose a question here. If you think the idea's a bad one, so state or suggest alternatives.

I wouldn't use a lens anything like what's used on this car or that stubby wagon I put up photos of, BUT... I have been toying with the idea of adding a third lens to the center of that teardrop-shaped chrome piece that has the BU lite towards it's bottom. This thrid lens would be for the turn signal - the brake-tail lites would be just that, brake and tail.
          I'm thinking a clear lens (smaller, but with a shape in keeping with the tail and BU lens) using an amber-colored bulb. What say???

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I shouldn't have been so critical, but I don't like those little lights that were used on both of those 58s. I think what you are talking about would look fine. It would look nice, IMO, if the whole fin area was an amber lens and the backup light remained, but I don't know how you would do that. I actually think the sawed off wagon would be rather cute if you took all the gee gaws off and painted it a solid color, covered the spare tire and put whitewalls on it. I tried to capture both ideas on Photoshop, but not with much success.

Comment

I shouldn't have been so critical, but I don't like those little lights that were used on both of those 58s. I think what you are talking about would look fine. It would look nice, IMO, if the whole fin area was an amber lens and the backup light remained, but I don't know how you would do that. I actually think the sawed off wagon would be rather cute if you took all the gee gaws off and painted it a solid color, covered the spare tire and put whitewalls on it. I tried to capture both ideas on Photoshop, but not with much success.

Comment

I like that idea Leonard. I could easliy cut down some oversized amber lens from a late model whatnot, but there's a teardrop-shaped metal piece that goes inside that chrome bezel and then (and I think this is kinda odd) there's the back face of the fin right under it. It's a goofy arrangement when you analyze it, but so is the fact that the taillites depended on the screws that hold the lens on for a ground!!![8]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I like that idea Leonard. I could easliy cut down some oversized amber lens from a late model whatnot, but there's a teardrop-shaped metal piece that goes inside that chrome bezel and then (and I think this is kinda odd) there's the back face of the fin right under it. It's a goofy arrangement when you analyze it, but so is the fact that the taillites depended on the screws that hold the lens on for a ground!!![8]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

One thing I can say positive is that when they shaved the side trim, it appears that they smoothed the seam where the tacked on fin meets the lower quarter panel, essentially making it one piece. Kind of neat looking in that respect.

Comment

One thing I can say positive is that when they shaved the side trim, it appears that they smoothed the seam where the tacked on fin meets the lower quarter panel, essentially making it one piece. Kind of neat looking in that respect.

Comment

This thing has had a modification or two, now hasn't it? Is it just me, or is the battery on the wrong side of the car? I'm not too sure I like that dash treatment, either...

StudeDave [8D]
                        V/P San Diego County SDC
                        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

This thing has had a modification or two, now hasn't it? Is it just me, or is the battery on the wrong side of the car? I'm not too sure I like that dash treatment, either...

StudeDave [8D]
                          V/P San Diego County SDC
                          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

IMHO, the '58 is one of the ugliest cars Studebaker ever turned out. It looks like some kid started a custom project and ran out of money. Still, what has been done, isn't bad. The car could still be finished out to be a fairly decent driver. What would worry me about this car is the steering collum. That's a modern one. What else has been changed in the suspension?

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

IMHO, the '58 is one of the ugliest cars Studebaker ever turned out. It looks like some kid started a custom project and ran out of money. Still, what has been done, isn't bad. The car could still be finished out to be a fairly decent driver. What would worry me about this car is the steering collum. That's a modern one. What else has been changed in the suspension?

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X