This Pic got me thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Pic got me thinking

Originally posted by Clonelark, the photo's with Stude in them got me thinking is the Delivery truck in this photo a Stude? Its obvious the 49-53 R series is

And this got me thinking how is the rare one off Delivery Van doing? what's its status? I believe thats one of the STUDEDAVES right?

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

My guess is that its a 'binder (IH)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

My guess is that its a 'binder (IH)
      I concur. The delivery truck looks to me to be a "Metro" which was the name of a line of medium-duty vans built by IH in the 1950s.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I'll go with Metro and the flat bed I think is International. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

IH produced Metros for nearly 20 years, ending in the late '50's. Through that time the bodies changed very little. Dairyland Milk here ran a fleet of Metros and Divcos for many years. Their current fleet service truck is a beautifully restored Divco. Note the reflector on the side of the R Series box. It's a small item, but is that something Stude would do? Was that something required in Oklahoma at the time?

Terry Godkin
          Surrey, British Columbia

Comment

As soon as I saw the picture I thought it was in International Metro van. They were very common back in "the day".

Dave Bonn
            '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

As soon as I saw the picture I thought it was in International Metro van. They were very common back in "the day".
              You're right. I saw a bunch as a kid.
              I was raised on various USAF bases and they were used a lot on both the flightline and around the base for maintenance and deliveries.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Metros were common delivery vehicles here in the Southland right into the 70s. I remember Weber Bread maintaining a fleet of yellow-and-white ones for years and years.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The roundy Metro body started in 1939 and survived until 1965. A Metro Mite line started in about 1961 with very square styling. Remember S.W.A.T. on TV? I think that's what they drove.

As for the flatbed: The dual rear window indicates it is a 1950 to 1954.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

/Cut/It's a small item, but is that something Stude would do? Was that something required in Oklahoma at the time?/Cut/
                    That would be an Owner Option, for an aftermarket reflector.

In many States in the U.S. in those days, and some to date, the Gross Vehicle Weight for Commercially registered Trucks was required to be on a Black on White GVWxxxx sticker on the sides for weigh scales, law enforcement etc. to see. California is one of the exceptions.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

California started using the stickers a couple of years ago. In the 60's my dad's 59 Ford wagon had his body shop name on the side, so it had to be registered as commercial, & when I took it thru inspection, they failed me for not having "reflectors". I showed them the reflectors built in the tail lamp lens, but they insisted on us installing additional ones that satisfied them, but were butt ugly on the car.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The truck is doing good, I think Studedave & Captain Hook (Tom Mulnar) are co owners and it is in South bend awaiting its turn in the garage. I own a retail store and if they still have not done anything with it by the time i am done with current projects, i would like to make it my stock truck. paint it up with my logos and maybe update the drive train (cummins 6 spd.) and haul boots and such from my warehouse 40 mile away.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

That is NOT the Stude van~ no way, no how!!! This is, though~

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

The truck is doing good, I think Studedave & Captain Hook (Tom Mulnar) are co owners and it is in South bend awaiting its turn in the garage. I own a retail store and if they still have not done anything with it by the time i am done with current projects, i would like to make it my stock truck. John
                          Unless something I'm totally unaware of has happened~ There are three owners, Tom is not one of them. The van isn't in South Bend anymore. Plans are to (hopefully) move it this Summer. It is NOT for sale, sorry John.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
                          San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                          '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                          '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Good to hear there are plans in the works for it, I would rather see a truck like that be restored to original than have stuff swapped out any how, I probably wouyld have left it stock also, i forgot when i looked at it in S.B. it has a V8 in it. I don't know were I got the idea Tom was a co-owner, I think somebody on Studebake truck talk said that or maybee I just made it up[?]. anyway I would love to see the progress on it when you guys get started. Keep us posted & goodluck it really is special. I still have the phone number in my cell phone, I was reaaly close to buying it in S.B. 2 years ago.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Tom M. did indeed own the truck outright, but sold it last fall to a young guy, I think out of Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                              X