Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Larks look like Ramblers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people think Larks look like Ramblers?

This seems to be a widespread phenomenon, but I emailed a friend of mine who's a college professor and a Mopar guy,and told him about the '64 Daytona Hardtop I bought. I emailed him a photo of a Strato Blue '64 Daytona convertible I found online (I think it might be either Jack B from the forum's old one, or maybe Buzz Beckman's), and he says, "Looks like a Rambler to me compared to your other one (1963)".

Now, I'll give him that Studes and Ramblers were both smaller in size and simpler in style than Big Three cars, but I cannot think of a single line, light, fixture, piece of trim, etc., from a '64 Stude that resembles any year or model Rambler.

What's everybody else's take on this?

Thanks!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Yes, Bill, that's ridiculous!

Everyone knows that a '64 Daytona looks like a '64 Falcon.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Neither one looks like a Ford, Chevy or Chrysler and most people think of Rambler before they think of Studebaker.

We are also a lot more familiar with them so the differences are obvious, there is probably an element of the same thing that makes some people think all (blacks, orientals, Indians, Vulcans, whatever) look alike.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I have the same problem, I have studied the ramblers closely after people started to call my Lark one, and I cannot find ONE thing that could be mistaken from Studebaker to Rambler.

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Having owned both marques: "I don't have the faintest idea!" However, everyone refers to my 57 Champion a a 55 Chevy and, boy, that does burn me up!!!

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Because they do........actually they can't think of what else they could be and Rambler pops into their head, Ramblers were around longer than Studebakers and most guys will never admit they don't know what kind of car that is.....

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

Does this help

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
              Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

Dart, Falcon, Rambler (though there is a distinct difference between the American and Classic/Ambassador)....to most American of that era, all small cars probably did look the same.

Less chrome, less garish than big cars of the big three, I can see how non-car people would lump them together. The name Rambler comes to their lips because it was probably better known/better remembered...and it lasted a few years longer than Studebakers.

For what it's worth, if I were a film production designer and wanted a generic car...
                (like the way "Gattaca" used Avantis for cars of the future) I'd use 64-66 Studebakers.
                They look like a sedan...plain and simple. That's not meant as a insult.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I could never confuse a Studebaker with a Rambler. Especially a '64 Daytona Hardtop, which had a beauty--and a crisp sculptured look--all of its own. I envy you owning a '64 Dayttona Hardtop. What a great car.

chip deffaa

Comment

You have to admit, some of the old Ramblers look pretty cool.

Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1958 Commander "Christine"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

Ramblers? Heck, everyone knows that Studebakers look like Jeeps!

Of course, that may have been influenced by Brooks Stevens, who designed both cars. Nothing like getting paid twice for the same work.

But, yes, I have been asked if my Wagonaire was a Rambler. Ouch!

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Like most of us here, I have had this moniker attached to my Lark as well. The area here is not(and as far as I know was not) exactly a rich area for these cars. Mercedes, Novas, Ramblers, however that was a whole other story, as these cars were alot more common than the Lark. If you see alot of these cars in the 30-40 years on this planet and alot fewer Larks, yeah you might start attaching a name to a car that, even though the dimensions look similar, the details on the car are far from the truth. Plus, if you attach this name to what might amount to a hazy recollection to the last time you saw a Lark, a Rambler, or a Mercedes, then you might also attach a name to a car that didn't have it.

Humorously enough, I have had this problem even after the umpteenth time I have walked into our gas stations and they ask how the car was doing, and I have to tell them the name of Lark. I start to let it go though, because they know the vehicle(and mfr) exist at this point, and I usually know what vehicle they're talking about. I like to think of it more as a nickname than anything by about this point.

However, I would like to say there was one that mistook my car for a Chevelle(he had to be about my age). Now that one had to make me say "Hey, wait a minute...."[)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I agree- some of the later '60s Ramblers look sorta like '64 to '66 Studes. But so did Darts, Chevy IIs, etc... close enough that 'common' folk wouldn't know the difference. [V] Sweet Pea gets called all sorts of 'names' even with one of SI's 'STUDEBAKER' stickers in the rear window. Even worse then that~ Once while cruisin' 'round in Baby~ I actually had someone tell me what a nice '57 Chevy I have!!! [:0] After I smacked them- I pointed to the leters on the decklid~

S T U D E B A K E R

But my question is~ Who was 'around' longer [?] [?] [?]

[u]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_(automobile)</u>

I don't think it was Rambler. I will admit I did not know they started as early (and stayed at it for as long) as they did, though.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
                          San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                          '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                          '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Gary, you need a pic of the newer Wagoneer that had the high tail lights and the matching rear cargo window with the cut lower rear corner that looks very much like a Wagonaire! [:0]
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

At firsty glance I thought it was one of those big Amish heaters they are selling in USA Today and on the infomercials[]
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by garyash

Ramblers? Heck, everyone knows that Studebakers look like Jeeps!

&lt;snip&gt;
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X