Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 daytona troubles

#1: Type of ATF?
    #2: Brakes. The power assist unit has one vaccuum line in and one that goes out but has been plugged. What might it have gone to? And why might the assist seem so weak?
    #3: The mechanical oil gauge shows 80-90 when cold(60 degrees). OK?
    #4: Found oil in the airfilter pan that must have come from the oil
    cap bypass hose to airfilter.
    #5: Fuel delivery problems. Removed settling bowl, cleaned it, a little spring fell out that was so fatigued it broke. I didn't replace it and my weak fuel supply became no fuel supply. Ordered new pump.
    #6: Oh, that's enough for now.

2. I don't know much about power brakes. Someone else will have to chime in on that question.
    3. 80-90 pounds sounds too high. Seems I saw a post with a question like this a few months back. Try a search.
    4. What do you mean by oil cap bypass hose to air filter? I don't think my Daytona has one, but I have an oil bath filter.
    5. Sounds like you've answered this one yourself.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

1. I just use DOT approved brake fluid.
      You use brake fluid in the transmission??[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

1. With respect to the ATF, check your repair manual (Type F will work either way).
        2. The extra "outlet" may be the pick off point for the vacuum modulator on the transmission.

The rest have been answered....

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

The manual calls for Type A which is no longer available(dont trust anything labeled Type A)
          I use dextron III
          If its an original car automatic, it doesnt have a vacuum modulator.
          Is this a California car ???

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28

59 Lark
          etc

Comment

#3: The mechanical oil gauge shows 80-90 when cold(60 degrees). OK?

Mine pinned, 80 PLUS when started. (granted it was a 53 232) I disassembled the relief valve and found a spacer behind the spring, (5/8 in long) I took it out and it went to 60 lbs cold.

You might check your relief valve for something like this.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks for the info all. I may have some Dex 3 on the shelf. No manual, that's why I came to you all. It is a California car- all original thogh a lot of systems have been bypassed-- more of those problems later. My airfilter cannister? has an inlet for crankcase ventilation- I assumed- and there was an outlet nipple on the oil cap of the same diameter. So I just put a piece of garden hose to connect them and keep the blowby from blowing into the air.

Comment

1962 was the first year for PCV in California. 1963 for everywhere else.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Boy.. talk about needing to engage the brain.[:I] In my effort to take in all those questions, I somehow read #1 as a question about brake fluid and not ATF/AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID! And then I logged off and never saw the correction until today. [V]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

oil pressure cold @ start up is a near useless reading. If the engine sat and has partially blocked passages, once warm your pressure may drop considerably. LOw pressure is a problem depending on service. What is the oil pressure when at operating temps ??

Comment

Working...
                    X