Champ Update - Welding 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Update - Welding 101

Got a bit more done on the Champ today and maybe even more importantly figured out how to use my welder.

If I think about everything left to do it can get downright discouraging, but each little success, like actually welding a couple of pieces of steel onto the cowl, is a big encouragement.

One step at a time, and one day I'll be cruising in my Champ again... right now the plan is to go for a drive on International Drive Your Studebaker Day!

One question, where do you guys get sheet metal? Getting it at Lowes or Northern Tool is EXPENSIVE!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

I always get my sheet metal from JUNK CARS! I get flat hoods and trunk lids and air-chisel the skin off them. If I can get the car in the garage, I cut the entire roof skin off the same way.

No reason I can see to buy new sheet metal[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Congrats on the successful welding. I spent the day welding floors into an utter crap oldsmobile for the BABE rally (www.baberally.com) ran out of gas so I had to use flux core...messy but effective.

Bob is right on, cheap metal from junk cars. Barring that I have a good local supplier near me that lets me scrounge the scrap bins for cheap. Do a hunt for metal suppliers in your area and make some friends

Comment

Jeff

Nice start. The use of older sheet metal from vehicles is a good idea if you have access to it. The newer cars are a thinner gauge that is more difficult to work with.

I use older metal, but if I want sheets of 16 - 18 gauge, I go to a local sheet metal shop.

For thicker stock I go to the local steel supplier. Around here they'll sell to the general public.

Another source I use is trash day. You would be suprised what you find on the curb. If you can find old bed rail it's really easy to weld.

Also go to your local scrap yard. I buy my aluminum and stainless from a local yard. They also have steel and iron. Usually priced at about double scrap value.

And last but not least are rummage and estate sales. You'll be suprised how much plate and sheet you will find.

CASO forever.

Bob

Comment

Ditto on the salvage/recycle recommendations. As Bob indicated, newer sheetmetal is like tinfoil.
          If you need new stock and don't have a local steel or sheetmetal shop, your local FLAPS (CarQuest, NAPA etc.) can supply various gages of sheet, usually in 4'x4'.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I bought one of those exact welders too. I'm using flux core with the plastic tip they give you to replace the gas shielding tip. Are you using gas? Those are some long beads on that hood. I usually only go about one inch then blast it with air as soon as it loses the red. It was a little difficult to switch polarity, had to use a pliers to do some twisting. I'm going to buy some argon and do a bunch of aluminum welding soon.

Comment

Oh and don't get discouraged from all of the work ahead of you. Just remember what to say when anybody asks you when it's going to be finished--"These cars are for workin' on, not for drivin'"

Comment

Jeff

Just a word of advice about the welding helmet you purchased. I bought what appears to be a duplicate from Harbor Freight. It has a large face plate that I like for sheel metal.

However, yesterday I had occasion to weld on my plow blade after a brutal attack on the morning snowfall. My welder was set for about 90% heat and 40% wire feed as I worked on thick metal. The helmet was set at maximum value of 13. When I struck the arc, it looked much brighter than it should have been. In fact, I knew if I kept going I was going to have trouble with the brilliance.

Went back to my old DuraGlas auto darkening helmet that is 20+ years old and finished the weld.

Moral of the story. I don't think the newer (read less expensive) helmets are the quality of the older, good helmets. I'll use the cheap one for sheet, but continue to use the DuraGlas for heavy welding.

Don't take chances with your sight.

Bob [:0]

Comment

Thanks everyone.

As much as I hate to do it I think my source of sheet metal is going to be the same hood I was practicing my welding on.

Buddy, I'm using the flux core, a metal tip and no gas. Why do you switch polarity? Most of the welding I need to do for now needs to be strong but not pretty. By the time I get to fixing a strange hole in the cowl I'll have had plenty of practice. When I do cab mount and floor patch I'll tack weld the pieces and then connect the tacks a bit at a time, no long beads. That welder doesn't have a very long duty cycle and obviously I'm not that great at welding yet anyay.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Not to contradict the all wise ones but I like new metal.
                    Fortunately I used to work at a sheet metal shop and get 3'x4'
                    cutoff steel(12-22gauge) and aluminum in the same sizes.Cut to any
                    size or shape I want.It pays to never burn any bridges.
                    I frame a few pieces of artwork in exchange.
                    Find a sheet metal shop and they will all have cutoff pieces
                    that they usually will sell reasonably.Get several thicknesses
                    in case you need to make brackets or plate a frame section.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I always find the metal fab guy in town (gates, railings, walkways, ornamental stuff).
                      Schmooze him a bit and ask to look through his scrap cut off pile next to the shear.
                      Or ask him if you can dumpster dive in his scrap metal roll off dumpster.
                      I have built three or four cars and don't think I have spent more than $20 for steel.
                      Polished stainless cost a lot more (at least a couple of six packs[])
                      HTIH.....
                      Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeffdewitt--didn't your welder come with a black cone shaped tip that slides on in place of the hollow gas shielding tip? It makes it a lot easier to see what you're doing. I'm pretty sure the instructions said to reverse the polarity when using flux core.

Comment

Working...
                        X