1964 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire Advice

I am considering purchasing this car: http://www.goldenclassics.com/ - go to the "other" tab and scroll down a bit to see the silver Daytona.

Please help me before I do something stupid. I am a Studebaker novice and need some good advice. I have a refundable deposit of $10,500 on this car. Seller refuses to reduce the price. I had an independent inspector check it out, and he found a few minor items which need to be repaired. Seller agreed to do all repairs. Inspector said there was a ton of undercoat on the car, and Seller is going to remove the undercoat from the frame.

Seller says the car has 63,000 original miles. Assuming all repairs are done, is $10,500 a fair price? I love the Daytona - should I wait to see if I can find another for a better price?

What needs to be done to put the car into original aesthetic condition? Any clue on what that would cost?

Is it easy to find parts for this car and find decent mechanics who can work on them?

Please don't hold back any of your comments as I really do need some good advice here. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mark, here is our post where we pretty much critiqued this car to death!

What bothers me about it other than the prices these "Classic Car Lot" guys try to get, is that it has that fresh non-original color paint job that you never know what it is hiding, bondo, rust what?

If it is as good as it looks, the price of $13,500.00 is in the ball park.

The little things like; wrong Wheel Covers from a '62 Hawk and the four instead of two bumper guards can be fixed easy enough I guess. It also has the wrong color carpet, probably close though, if it looks good with the Seats/Door Panels. I would leave it alone.
    The little incorrect items will not affect your fun with this car, because to enjoy it it does not need to be factory correct.

Be sure you check out that frame, if it has been in a salt air area near the Ocean or a salted road State it could be a bit thin.

Also I note there are no pics of the dash and front seats, door panels. What we can see of the Interior looks really nice. The dashes usually crack quite a bit if left in the sun a lot.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If I were to spend that much on a Wagonaire, I would definitely have a Studebaker person check it out thoroughly. That is perhaps what I would expect one would pay for a full on restoration to nearly show car status. I know it would take more money than that to get one in show condition, but the Wagonaires do not yet bring that sort of money, even when they are restored. Sadly, much like the sedans. A lot invested, but not enough in resale value. I'm not saying its right, just what it is. Just be sure its not just a cosmetic job. Get the details on all the mechanicals. Brakes, bushings, shocks, tires, wiring, alternator, starter, carb, wipers, lights, turn signals, glass, weather stripping, gages, transmission, engine, wheel bearings, etc. They can get expensive in a hurry to re-do.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

There are a lot of nice wagonaires out there, i have never seen one sell for this much $$$$. Now having said that. it is hard for anyone to find one for sale. I would think if you really wanted to find a nice wagonaire, is to approch a nice one at a Studebaker regional meet and ask the owner if he would sell it, or even go thru the Stude club roster and call people. ask them if they have ever had it judged at a regional meet and how well did it score. Even a 3rd place car would be a pretty nice car. I would think $8000 would be a fair price for a nice one and $13000 had better be a 375+ point car.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Don't you kinda wish JDP felt comfortable to add his advice?[V]

Just askin. [?]

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Don't you kinda wish JDP felt comfortable to add his advice? [V] Just askin. [?] Bob
            He did~ look at the other post about this car...
            (see link above)

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If you can get your deposit back, do it. There are better cars out there for the money. In the meantime, join the national club and local chapter. Next time you can approach this with a more supported position. Another advantage to joining the club is the classifieds in the magazine (newsletter). There's nearly always something really nice in your price range.

Then again, if the car is as good as it looks... 10.5k isn't out of reason. Perhaps it would be wise to have a knowledgeable member accopany you and really go over the car. Pay close attention to the lower front fenders where they meet the doors. Also, the bottom of the doors and bottom of the rear quarters behind the rear wheels. Lastly, the bottom of the tailgate. These are the rust problem areas. Take a small magnet with you. It will tell you if there's metal there or bondo. I must say, that headliner is the best I've ever seen!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Old Cars Price Guide lists a '64 Daytona Wagon at $6,530 for a #3 car and $10,150 for a #2. From what I can see, it would fall somewhere in between these two. OCPG is generally on the low side for Studebakers.

NADA lists an "average" '64 Daytona at $10,950 and a "high book" one at $19,400. Again, I'd say this car is in between. NADA is generally high for Studebakers.

There was a chocolate brown '65 (283 stick/OD) in very similar condition to this car that SOLD in southern California last year for $14k.

If this car is as advertised and not full of rust or repaired rust I'd say $10.5 is a fair price.

Station wagons like pick up trucks are difficult to find in good condition. They were generally "used hard and put away wet". Finding one that looks better for less money will be tough (IMHO).

The few "nits" that were picked in these two threads (wheel color, hub caps, 4 bumper guards) would cost little to nothing to fix. There may be other "nits" if you intend to enter the car in SDC international meet judging.

Studebaker parts vendors here...

Studebaker International and SASCO are the biggest, but there are many excellent smaller vendors also.

Finding a mechanic is another story. My advice to anyone who is contemplating buying a vintage car but doesn't have the time or skills to work on them themselves is DON'T. It will be expensive and frustrating.

Join the SDC and your local chapter. They both can help with parts, advice, and maybe even a mechanic.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Don't you kinda wish JDP felt comfortable to add his advice?[V]

Just askin. [?]
                  As Dave said, he did; and why should he be uncomfortable? Nobody's ever had a problem with that...?

As for the car- I agree with having it looked over well by somebody with body experience; we can help with Wagonaire-specific areas, as Ron already did. Provided there's no frame problems and there's not a bunch of bondoed-over rust, it then comes down to how much YOU really like it. Being that we already have your answer on that, I'd say go for it[^] Price is relative and hard to quantify- kind of a moving target. If it checks out physically, you have the money, and you feel it's worth spending on this car, that's all you need![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Mark, all of these guys know more about Studebaker financals than I do. All you other guys read that again so you know what I believe. I'm under the impression that nearly all of these guys buy cars, keep them a while, then sell them. That is why they know so much about the money.

I have a 50 Champion that is special to me. I have spent more than 4 or 5 times its' monetary value on it. I have kept it original, which is what I want. No one could buy it from me until I'm ready to croak. Why do you want that car? If it is a car to play with and pass on, you probably would be wise to take their advice. If you want that car because you like or love it already, then the heck with money.

Amongst all the objective comment, I want you to know that there is no pricing emotion. If you WANT it, buy it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and advice. It really helped. With a heavy heart, I let it go. There are too many unanswered questions, and since I cannot travel to Florida to evaluate the car and do not have enough time to track down the right people to evaluate it, I thought it best to pass. I would have a lot of explaining to do with my wife if the car showed up at my home needing a ton of work. Getting my wife to live with the $10,500 price plus shipping expense was enough. I love Wagonaires. Now that I have exposure to them, I can look for one and take the right amount of time (and the right steps) to buy one responsibly. This is a great club and a great forum.

Comment

If you are patient, one might turn up for sale in your area, so you don't have to worry about added shipping expenses. And you can usually get a better price from an individual than from a dealer. If you look at Ebay, prices of cars generally seem low due to the current economy. With luck, you may find what you want at a good price.

chip deffaa

Comment

I have a 1964 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire. I bought it running with a straight body and it was all there. My son drove it for awhile, but it was retired when he went off to college. It now has flat tires and needs a new starter switch. It's been stored under a car cover in Hemet, CA for the past seven years. Our circumstances have changed and I don't really have time for a project car anymore, but it pains me to see it just fading. I'd like to find somebody who appreciates what it is that could take over, but have no idea where to start or what to even ask. I will post a link - hopefully you can see it. These pictures were taken when it was still running. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Comment

Aloha e Doug:

Thanks for posting. Please provide engine and transmission information. Yours is likely a 289cid V8 with column-shifted automatic transmission, but plenty of other combinations were available and some are rare enough to be more valuable than others. Also: current pictures of exterior - particularly front fenders just in front of the doors and bottom edge of the tailgate - engine compartment and interior will help us help you evaluate the car's current condition. These pics make it look fine, but if I understand correctly they're seven years old or so and that's a long time for a car to sit, even in high desert conditions under a cover. Please also post the numbers you'll find on the serial number plate (driver's door jamb between the hinges, starts with "64V..." or "C...") and the body number tag (engine compartment side of the firewall, to the left of the wiper motor, starts with "64V P8 ..." or "64S P8...").

That said, your best bet is to contact your local SDC chapter to ask their members for help evaluating and moving this car. I think for you that's Beach Cities Inland Empire Chapter, website here: http://www.bciec-sdc.com/

Good luck from a Hemet native (born at the hospital on Latham when it was one storey all the way around) - and keep us posted.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                            In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                            If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

(edit: corrected body code and included Hamilton 6cyl info)

Comment

I believe wagonaires are grossly undervalued.....bias on

Bill Foy
                              Kingston, Ontario
                              1964 Wagonaire Slider
                              Bill Foy
                              1000 Islands, Ontario
                              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X